Monthly News Letter
Welcome to EAP
Employee Assistance Program of SUNY ESF
July 2014 - Summer Stress
We usually think of the "lazy, hazy days of summer" as a time to relax in the sun and unwind after a long winter. But did you know summer can be very stressful? When you try and pack too much into a short time, spend too much on vacation you can't afford, feel you need to respond to emails from the office while on vacation, and the kids have too much time on their hands, it can be very stressful. here are some tips to minimize your stress this summer:
Tips to Relieve Summer Stress:
- Set Limits: Don't feel you need to complete all the projects you didn't get done all year. Prioritize. Pick one or two things you will enjoy.
- Plan activities for the kids: When kids are bored, everyone is unhappy. Whether it's camp, a summer reading program at the local library, swimming lessons, or some other activity, make sure to keep kids occupied. Everyone will be happier.
- Spend time outdoors: Taking time to enjoy nature is a sure way to renew yourself, relax and reduce stress.
- Take a mini-vacation: If you are short on time or money, you can still enjoy a mini-vacation close to home. Spend the day at your local beach, visit nearby historic sites, if you have a summer theater in your community, take in a play. Visit www.iloveny.com for information about festivals, events, tours and other things to do in your area and around the state
- Take care of yourself: Keep hydrated. Exercise, but do it early in the morning or in the evening when it isn't so hot. Eat healthy - find fresh fruits and vegetables at the local farmers' market. Don't overload your schedule. and don't forget the sunscreen.
- Ask yourself, at the end of the summer what do you want to be able to say you did this summer - and do it!
For more ideas and resources to help minimize summer stress, or if you are feeling overwhelmed because of stress, contact your EAP Coordinator.
This Month's NYS Balance Webinar
Is it Hot In Here?
We all face situations that can make us feel angry. Traffic, struggles at work, or a disagreement with your spouse or partner can trigger an angry response. Your NYS-Balance program can help you learn to express that anger in a healthy way.
Call or visit online to get started!
You Make Me So Mad!
Thursday, July 17, 2014 at 12:00 p.m.
Rude service encounters. Road rage. Violence in the workplace. Why is everyone so angry? Learn about the causes of anger and how to manage it.
Register for the webinar on the NYS-Balance website.
- Username: nys
- Password: balance
To participate, you will need an Internet-connected PC and a phone. If the Webinar is not scheduled during your break or lunch time, you can view it later online.
EAP is seeking a Research Foundation and Management Confidential Employee to become a voting member of the committee. The Management Confidential position will be available September 1, 2014. There is a one hour per month time commitment for the monthly meeting. Anyone interested should contact Mark Hill, Chair at extension 6673 or by email at email@example.com.