David H. Griffin
457 Illick Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
Telephone: (315) 470-6786
- B.S., Wood Technology, SUNY College of Forestry, Syracuse, NY, 1959
- M.A., Botany, University of California, Berkeley, CA 1960
- Ph.D., Botany, University of California, Berkeley, CA 1963
- SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY
- Professor Emeritus, 1998
- Professor, 1980
- Associate Professor, 1971
- Assistant Professor, 1968
- Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France, Research Fellow, 1974-1975
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, Assistant Professor of Botany, 1964-1968
- University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, Visiting Assistant Professor of Botany, 1964
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, Research Fellow, 1963-1964
HONORS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, 1959-1961
- National Academy of Sciences - National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1963-1964
- Delegation Generale de la Récherche Scientifique et Technique, Fellow 1974-1975
- Sigma Xi
- New York Academy of Sciences
- American Phytopathological Society
- Mycological Society of America
- Society for Industrial Microbiology
- Mycologia, Editor-in-Chief 1996-2000
- Experimental Mycology, Associate Editor 1983-1995
- United States Department of Agriculture Competitive Research Grants Panel in Forest Biology 1987.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Institutional Biosafety Committee community representative 1987-present.
PUBLICATIONS (recent years only)
Griffin, D. H. 1994. Fungal Physiology, Second Edition. Wiley-Liss, New York. 485 pp.
Griffin, D. H., P. D. Manion and B. M. Kruger. 1993. Mechanisms of 'disease' predisposition by environmental stress. Pp. 123-138 In N. Luisi, P. Lerario and A. Vannini (Eds.), Recent advances in studies on oak decline. International Union of Forestry Research Organizations (IUFRO) and Accademia Italiana di Scienze Forestali, Firenze, Italy.
Griffin, D. H. 1992. Nucleic acids and nucleotides. Pp. 445-473 In D. K. Arora, K. G. Mukerji and R. P. Elander (Eds.), Fungal biotechnology. Marcel Dekker, New York.
Griffin, D. H. 1992. Tip growth in plant and fungal cells: book review. Mycologia 84: 601.
Griffin, D. H., K. E. Quinn, G. S. Gilbert, C. J. K. Wang and S. Rosemarin. 1992. The role of ascospores and conidia as propagules in the disease cycle of Hypoxylon mammatum. Phytopathology 82: 114-119.
Manion, P. D. and D. H. Griffin. 1992. Resistance in aspen to hypoxylon canker. Pp. 308-319 In R. A. Blanchette (Ed.), Defense mechanisms of woody plants against fungi. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
Griffin, D. H., M. Schaedle, M. J. DeVit and P. D. Manion. 1991. Clonal variation of Populus tremuloides responses to diurnal drought stress. Tree Physiology 8: 297-304.
Griffin, D. H., M. Schaedle, P. D. Manion and M. DeVit. 1991. Clonal variation in amino acid pools in roots, stems and leaves of aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) as influenced by diurnal drought stress. Tree Physiology 7: 337-350.
Bélanger, R. R., P. D. Manion and D. H. Griffin. 1990. Amino acid content of water-stressed plantlets of Populus tremuloides clones in relation to clonal susceptibility to Hypoxylon mammatum in vitro. Can. J. Botany 68: 26-29.
Sindhu, R. K., D. H. Griffin and D. C. Walton. 1990. Abscisic aldehyde is an intermediate in the enzmatic conversion of xanthoxin to abscisic acid in Phaseolus vulgaris L. leaves. Plant Physiol. 93: 689-694.
Bélanger, R. R., S. P. Falk, P. D. Manion and D. H. Griffin. 1989. Tissue culture and leafspot bioassays as variables in regression models explaining Hypoxylon mammatum incidence on Populus tremuloides clones in the field. Phytopathology 79: 318-321.
Bélanger, R. R., P. D. Manion and D. H. Griffin. 1989. Hypoxylon mammatum ascospore infection of Populus tremuloides clones: effects of moisture stress in tissue culture. Phytopathology 79: 315-317.
Falk, S., D. H. Griffin and P. D. Manion. 1989. Hypoxylon canker incidence and mortality in naturally occurring aspen clones. Plant Dis. 73: 384-397.
Falk, S. P., D. H. Griffin and P. D. Manion. 1989. Spatial pattern analysis of hypoxylon canker in naturally occurring clones of Populus tremuloides. Plant Dis. 73: 31-33.
Griffin, D. H., M. DeVit and R. Tuori. 1989. Protoplast formation and transformation of Hypoxylon mammatum. Phytopathology 79: 1204.
Griffin, D. H. 1988. A model microorganism. Science 239: 1185-1186.
Valentine, F., S. Baker, R. Belanger, P. Manion and D. Griffin. 1988. Screening for resistance to Hypoxylon mammatum in Populus tremuloides callus and micropropagated plantlets. Pp. 181 In M. R. Ahuja (Ed.), Somatic Cell Genetics of Woody Plants. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.