Safety, Security & Parking
The ESF University Police Department is responsible for providing the ESF community with a safe and healthful environment in which to work, live and learn. The department is service oriented and specializes in meeting the needs of an urban college. University Police officers function as the college's police force and have the same powers as any municipal or county police officer.
The duties of University Police include foot and mobile patrol, law enforcement, criminal investigations, medical emergency coordination, community relations, traffic and parking services, and crime prevention. We also provide initial response and coordination for all on-campus emergencies.
Additionally, all officers are trained in CPR, emergency first aid, and hazardous materials initial response procedures.
University Police is dedicated to providing the highest degree of protection possible to you and your possessions during your career at ESF, but to do that the department needs your help. Students should feel free to contact them whenever they have concerns about personal or campus safety.
19 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210-2778
315-470-6666 or 6667
Services Provided by ESF University Police
- Car and bicycle registration
- Engraving of valuables (loan of engraver)
- Bike lock loan program
- Personal protection devices
- Motorist Assistance, Crime, and Rape Prevention Officer available
- Lost and Found
- Issue and control of keys and access cards
- Overnight Parking Registration
- Emergency Response
005 Sims Hall
Syracuse, NY 13210
Services Provided by Syracuse University Public Safety
Neighborhood Patrol: The Department of Public Safety has designated a two-person patrol team to respond to incidents involving Syracuse University and ESF students that occur in the University area. At the request of the Syracuse Police Department, Public Safety officers respond to these incidents for the purpose of documenting student violations of the law and the ESF and Syracuse University codes of student conduct. Please contact Assistant Director Wesley Bird, 315-443-2224, with any questions.
"Don't Walk Alone": A walking escort service is available to University students, faculty, and staff members from University buildings to residence halls or parking facilities by calling 315-443-2224. Student Marshals provide the walking escorts from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. throughout the academic year. At all other times a Public Safety officer will provide this service. This service does not extend to off-campus locations. University community members are encouraged to use the free shuttle bus system whenever possible. Please remember that when you attend social events, arrangements should be made to walk with friends.
Shuttle U Home: A shuttle service provides transportation from the Syracuse University campus to the University Hill homes of SU and ESF students, faculty and staff. The shuttle service operates daily from 8:15 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.
- First-year students are not allowed to have vehicles on campus
- There is no weekday student parking at ESF
- Parking is available through Syracuse University 315-443-4652
- Costs vary depending on location
- Permits will be issued in the fall during orientation weekend (see schedule) and Monday and Tuesday following orientation from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Manley Field House
- Permits will be issued in the spring at Skytop Office Building
- You will need your vehicle registration and proof of student status
- Limited after-hours student parking is available at ESF
Weekdays: 5 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Weekends: 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- In order to obtain the free pass necessary to park at ESF during these hours, you must register your vehicle with University Police, 19 Bray Hall.