Policies & Guidelines
- Use of facilities or access the HWF property requires authorization from AEC staff.
- Visiting student groups are required to have a faculty advisor in accompaniment when using HWF facilities.
- Access to the majority of the property is controlled by gates and combination locks. Keep gates closed and locked at all times.
- The speed limit on ALL property roads is 15 mph.
- A Research Study Plan
must be submitted to the Director prior to the initiation of any
research activities on the HWF.
- An Educational Study
Plan must be submitted to the Director prior to the initiation
of any instructional or educational activities on HWF
- Overnight guests need to provide their own linens, pillows, blankets, towels, and toiletries.
- Pets are not allowed.
- All HWF buildings are smoke free environments.
- Camping and campfires are permitted only at designated locations and require prior approval of the Director.
- Boat motors used in conjunction with recreational activities are not allowed without permission of the Director.
- Sensitive research areas are located near Arbutus Lake. These areas are posted with red "Restricted Area" signs - Keep out of these areas.
- Guidelines for marking field research plots/sites have been established and will be enforced. Red has been designated as the only color approved for use in conjunction with marking research plots/sites.
- The closest gas station is located in Long Lake, 10 miles to the west. Gasoline is available at the Maintenance Garage weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm for ESF College vehicles only.
- Current policies of SUNY-ESF pertaining to the use of alcohol and other drugs on College properties shall govern all such activities on the HWF. No alcoholic beverages, including beer and wine, are allowed on the HWF property without permission from the Vice President of Students Affairs and Educational Services. Request forms are available and must be submitted to and approved by the Students Affairs department and a copy filed with the AEC prior to arrival on HWF.
- Firearms and ammunition are not permitted within the boundaries of the HWF (exceptions with appropriate permit).
This brief listing is intended to provide students, researchers
and visitors with important information regarding the use of HWF/AEC resources.
A more detailed handbook
describing all AEC/HWF
policies and guidelines is available upon request. Researchers with an approved
Research Study Plan
summer residents will be provided with a copy of this handbook.