Official College Travel
ESF follows New York State and Research Foundation guidelines to apply IRS rates for personal vehicle use, daily meals and lodging.
Important Forms and Documents
- Travel Documentation Checklist (new/revised 5/2018, list of needed forms, PDF)
- Tax Exempt Certificate (hotel rooms, PDF)
- Travel Authorization Form (Fillable PDF)
- Over-the-Max Travel Request (PDF)
- Determining Travel Status (PDF)
- Non-employee Travel (PDF)
Please check the below links for travel advisories prior to booking your international travel.
For further information on international travel contact the office of International Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
State Travel Forms
- State Travel Guide (PDF)
- NYS Employee Travel Reimbursement form (Fillable PDF)
- NYS Auto Mileage form (PDF)
- NYS Non-employee Travel Reimbursement form (Fillable PDF)
- Travel Card Form (Fillable PDF)
- Net Card Form (Fillable PDF)
- Travel Card Application (PDF)
- NYS Travel Card Policies and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Online Rental Reservations - State (PDF)
- Tax Exempt Forms (STATE):
Research Foundation Travel Forms
- RF Travel Advance Form
Contact Travel at email@example.com
- RF Travel Expense Voucher (Fillable PDF)
- RF Travel site
- RF Travel Handbook (PDF)
- RF Pre-Travel Checklist (PDF)
- RF Post –Travel Checklist (PDF)
- BTI Control # Request Form (Excel)
- RF Travel Card Employee Agreement (PDF)
- Bank of America Travel Card Program (PDF)
- Online Rental Reservations - RF (PDF)
- Tax Exempt Forms (RF):
Domestic Per Diem Rates
Maximum travel per diem rates for current and prior years for the continental United States are available at the following website. Please be sure to choose the correct fiscal year.
Travelers may be reimbursed for breakfast if they must depart at least one hour before their normal work start time, and/or for dinner if they return at least two hours later than their normal work ending time.
Allowance/reimbursement for breakfast and/or dinner is determined by times of departure from and return to the traveler’s official station or home, according to the following table:
|On departure day, traveler is eligible for...||if travel begins before...|
|On day of return, traveler is eligible for...||if trip ends after...|
Meal AllowanceRates as of 10/1/2015
One meal allowance is a combination of one breakfast and one dinner (or vice versa).
Lunches cannot be reimbursed.
Overnight Meal Allowances
|Meal Rate||Allowed for breakfast:||Allowed for dinner:|
Non-overnight Meal Allowances
Unreceipted Per Diem Rates
This flat rate per diem allowance for meals, lodging and incidentals may be used regardless of where lodging was obtained, even if you stay with a relative or friend. No receipts are required. “Method I Unreceipted Lodging” should be claimed on travel documents. Per diem rates will be pro-rated based on the traveler’s overnight travel status and eligibility for both breakfast and dinner.
Unreceipted per diem reimbursement rates for meals, lodging and incidental expenses:
|New York City and Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester Counties||$50.00|
|Cities of Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and their respective surrounding metropolitan areas||$40.00|
|All other locations in New York State||$35.00|
|Out of State (this includes any out of state tax on lodging)||$50.00|
- Vehicle Request Form (Excel)
- 15-passenger Van Form (Excel)
- 15-passenger Procedure (please read before requesting 15-passenger van, Word)
What Can Be Claimed?
If you travel from home to another location and then continue to your primary work location during the day, only the additional mileage incurred beyond the normal commute is reimbursable.
You can claim only the mileage incurred during the course of daily business for the distance greater than your normal commute to your official work station. You can only have one official work station.
Travel Office will round down mileage totals when reimbursements are calculated.
Federal Mileage Allowance Inclusions
Charges for gasoline, accessories, repairs, depreciation, anti-freeze, towing, insurance, auto club memberships and other expenditures may be included.
Mileage Rates for Official College Travel
You may use a personal vehicle for official travel when an ESF owned vehicle or common carrier is not available, not cost effective, or otherwise not appropriate. Before a trip, justification may be required for use of a personal vehicle.
- OGS Travel Calculator (standard size vehicle may be used for comparison)
- 2018: $0.545 per mile
- 2017: $0.535 per mile
- 2016: $0.540 per mile
- 2015: $0.575 per mile
Foreign Per Diem Rates
(Includes Hawaii, Alaska, and U.S. Possessions)
Foreign Meal Allowance Breakdown
The foreign meal allowance schedule lists the meal allowance as a lump sum. The meal allowance is broken down as follows:
- 80% for dinner
- 20% for breakfast