ESF Newcomb CampusESF Regional Campuses, Forest Properties & Field Stations
Encompassing over 15,000 acres of Adirondacks wildlands, ESF's Newcomb Campus offers incomparible opportunities for learning and research see the video.
Newcomb is the yearround home to three major centers of study and public education:
- Adirondack Ecological Center (AEC)
AEC researchers from throughout the world study the natural and cultural systems of the Northern Forest.
- Northern Forest Institute (NFI)
A partnership with the Open Space Institute, NYSDEC, NYS Adirondack Park Agency, Northern Forest Center, Adirondack Wild, Purdue University and others.
- Adirondack Interpretive Center (AIC)
AIC programs, drop-in center and nature trails serve thousands of visitors, local residents and program participants each year.
The Huntington Wildlife Forest
ESF's Newcomb Campus is situate in the magnificent Huntington Wildlife Forest. In 1932, the 15,000 acre (6,000 ha) Huntington Wildlife Forest (HWF) (latitude 44E 00" N, longitude 74E 13" W) was donated by Archer and Anna Huntington for the specific use of SUNY-ESF. Located mostly in the Town of Newcomb, western Essex County, it lies near the geographic center of the Adirondack Park. The purpose of this gift was to establish a field station "for investigation, experiment and research in relation to the habits, life histories, methods of propagation and management of fish, birds, game, food and fur-bearing animals and as a forest of wildlife" (Johnson and Dence 1937).
6312 State Route 28N
Newcomb, NY 12852,
From Syracuse (~ 3.5 hrs driving time):
- NYS Thruway east to Exit 33 (Verona)
- Rte 365 east to Route 12
- Rte 12 north to Alder Creek
- Rte 28 north to Blue Mt. Lake
- Rte 30/28N north to Long Lake
- Rte 28N east to "Huntington Wildlife Forest" sign (9 miles from Long Lake)
- Continue 0.7 miles to AEC office
From Albany (~2 hrs driving time):
- Interstate 87 north to Exit 29 (North Hudson)
- County Rte 2 west to Newcomb (20 miles)
- Rte 28N west to "Huntington Wildlife Forest" sign (6 miles)
- Continue 2.2 miles to AEC office