Roosevelt Wild Life Station Becomes Part of College
RWLS provides students opportunity for lab work
In 1919, the New York State Legislature and the Roosevelt family established the Roosevelt Wild Life Station at the College of Forestry in Syracuse. This station was dedicated to Theodore Roosevelt and used his name because of his strong commitment to the conservation of natural resources throughout his political career. The station reports that during its first 17 years more than 5,500 pages of published research was produced and shared with scientists, universities, high schools, government offices and professional societies worldwide.
The program today oversees the development of multifaceted, long-term research and outreach activities. The station's work is now international in scope, focusing on the conservation of biodiversity not only in New York state, but throughout the United States and around the world.