M.S., M.P.S. and Ph.D.
Graduate students in polymer chemistry select their courses from a range of offerings in chemistry, chemical engineering, mathematics, physics, and other appropriate areas. These courses will include the one-year sequence in the physical and organic chemistry of polymers and such additional courses as the student and advisor consider necessary.
Special topics in a spectrum of polymer fields are offered or can be arranged in consultation with the faculty.
Research is an essential component of any graduate degree program in polymer chemistry.
Polymer Chemistry Courses
- FCH 550 Polymer Science: Synthesis and Mechanisms
- FCH 551 Polymer Techniques
- FCH 552 Polymer Science: Properties and Technology
- FCH 650 Statistical Physics and Chemistry of Macromolecules
- Other courses taught include Membrane Science and Technology and Biomass Chemistry
- All Chemistry Course Descriptions
We strongly encourage prospective graduate students to contact the department or any professor whose research is of interest!
Faculty and their Specialties
Follow the links immediately below for detailed descriptions of research of any professor. Many other useful links are found just below the listing of faculty.
- Paul M. Caluwe; firstname.lastname@example.org
organic chemistry, synthetic polymer chemistry
- Avik P. Chatterjee; email@example.com
polymer chemistry, theoretical polymer and physical chemistry
- Kelley J. Donaghy; firstname.lastname@example.org
inorganic chemistry and chemical education, fuel cells
- Ivan Gitsov Ivanov; email@example.com
synthesis and characterization of dendrimers, hyperbranched, and other nanostructured polymers, polymer chemistry, "green" chemistry, polymer synthesis through biocatalysis, biomaterials
- Christopher T. Nomura; firstname.lastname@example.org
biochemistry, polymer chemistry, biopolymer chemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology, microbial physiology, biodegradable plastics, transcriptomics
- Arthur J. Stipanovic; email@example.com
polymer chemistry, biopolymers, biodegradable polymers, characterization, rheology
- Graduate Chemistry Program Information Request
- Admission Information
- Important LInks
Selected applicants to the graduate program will be offered a full tuition waiver and a 12 month stipend that will cover their living expenses, and the costs of books and fees. Students are supported primarily as research assistants rather than teaching assistants, and as a result they have more time to devote to their research.
Current Polymer Research Areas
Prospective graduate students are strongly encouraged to contact any professor whose research is of interest.
- Biomass conversion to industrial polysaccharides (Stipanovic)
- Dendrimers and hyperbranched molecules (Gitsov)
- Diffraction methods, NMR, and dynamic molecular modeling approaches to polymer structure determination and prediction
- Inorganic polymers
- Novel methods of cellulose and cellulosic modification (Caluwe, Stipanovic)
- Percolation methods in theoretical polymer chemistry (Chatterjee )
- Polymer based nanocomposites (Stipanovic)
- Preparation, modification, and technology of polymeric membranes
- Preparation and characterization of functional polymers (Gitsov)
- Preparation, properties, and applications of radiopaque polymers
- Stimuli responsive materials (Stipanovic)
- Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics of polymer systems (Chatterjee)
- Engineering biocatalysts for biopolymer production (Nomura)
Current Graduate Students in Polymer Chemistry
Only currently registered students appearnew student names are added at the start of the academic year.
Previous Graduate Study: Medical University - Sofia, BG (Pharmacy )
Graduate Research Topic
Synthesis And Characterization Of Bone Cement Additives Based On Hydroxyapatite-Grafted Poly(D,L-Lactide).