Small Stem Assay Method
Enhanced Blight Resistance in Transgenic American Chestnut
The American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project
Mouseover left or right arrow to pause slide.
1. Gather your supplies including an actively growing culture of Cryphonectria parasitica (the blight fungus). In these videos we used strain EP155.
2. Make two marks with a felt pen 5 mm apart.
3. Carefully cut a consistent, vertical wound between the marks.
4. Using a #2 cork borer, cut mycelial plug from the leading edge of the fungal colony.
5. Place mycelial side up on pre stretched parafilm.
6. Press the mycelial plug against the wound making sure it stays in place.
7. Wrap the parafilm tight to prevent drying of the plug and wait 7 to 21 days for results.
The slides and captions to the right provide a step-by-step overview of the small stem assay method. Mouseover the left or right arrow to pause a slide.