Orienting Students toward Community Service
Third Annual SUNY-ESF Saturday of Service for Incoming First Year Students
(Syracuse, N.Y.) "We are extremely excited about our 3rd Annual Saturday of Service for incoming first year students at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF) because it quickly connects our students to the community while directly benefiting the Central New York Community," said Leah Flynn, coordinator of Student Programs.
Approximately 280 students went out into the community for four hours (11:30AM to 3:30PM) to perform public service on Saturday, August 26, 2006.
Work sites and projects were organized through the Syracuse City Parks and Recreation Department and Onondaga County Parks. The projects include:
- Brush and debris clean up in Burnet, Sunnycrest, Lincoln, and Elmwood Parks;
- Creek-side and creek (that really means in the creek) clean-up of Onondaga Creek*;
- And work at St. Marie Among the Iroquois and Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery.
Flynn said, "We believe the Saturday of Service sets an example of how important public service and connecting with our community is to SUNY-ESF and how it has become incorporated into our campus culture."
Students, staff and faculty at SUNY-ESF have completed close to 65,000 Hours of community service in the past year. ESF was one of the first colleges in the area to send its freshmen class out for community service before classes begin.
The 3rd Annual ESF Saturday of Service is supported by: Time Warner Cable of Syracuse; Holyshirt; P & C Foods; Crystal Rock; Dermody, Burke & Brown and; Empire Glove and Safety providing t-shirts, water and gloves for the service projects.
*Due to high water levels, students assigned to Onondaga Creek worked at Burnet Park Zoo instead.
Release No. 5, August 21, 2006
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210