Orienting Students toward Community Service
Third Annual SUNY-ESF Saturday of Service for Incoming First Year Students
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if more information is required.
(Syracuse, N.Y.) "We are extremely excited about our 3rd Annual Saturday of Service for incoming first year students at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF) because it quickly connects our students to the community while directly benefiting the Central New York Community," said Leah Flynn, coordinator of Student Programs.
Approximately 280 students went out into the community for four hours (11:30AM to 3:30PM) to perform public service on Saturday, August 26, 2006.
Work sites and projects were organized through the Syracuse City Parks and Recreation Department and Onondaga County Parks. The projects include:
- Brush and debris clean up in Burnet, Sunnycrest, Lincoln, and Elmwood Parks;
- Creek-side and creek (that really means in the creek) clean-up of Onondaga Creek*;
- And work at St. Marie Among the Iroquois and Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery.
Flynn said, "We believe the Saturday of Service sets an example of how important public service and connecting with our community is to SUNY-ESF and how it has become incorporated into our campus culture."
Students, staff and faculty at SUNY-ESF have completed close to 65,000 Hours of community service in the past year. ESF was one of the first colleges in the area to send its freshmen class out for community service before classes begin.
The 3rd Annual ESF Saturday of Service is supported by: Time Warner Cable of Syracuse; Holyshirt; P & C Foods; Crystal Rock; Dermody, Burke & Brown and; Empire Glove and Safety providing t-shirts, water and gloves for the service projects.
*Due to high water levels, students assigned to Onondaga Creek worked at Burnet Park Zoo instead.
Release No. 5, August 21, 2006
Recent ESF News
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210