ESF Announces New Name for Paper Engineering Program
Paper and Bioprocess Engineering
SYRACUSE, N.Y. The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has changed the name of its Faculty of Paper Science and Engineering to the Faculty of Paper and Bioprocess Engineering to reflect the addition of a new bioprocess engineering major.
The first and only program of its kind in the northeastern United States, the bioprocess engineering program seeks to train engineers who will work in the emerging bioprocessing and biofuels industry to produce energy and related chemical products from renewable resources.
Students in this program master a variety of subjects that are normally found in a chemical engineering program, and supplement those studies with advanced courses specific to bioprocess engineering. The program focuses on the use of wood and other renewable biomass materials to replace petroleum in energy and industrial product applications. Examples of this technology include the bioprocessing of ethanol, acetic acid, polymers, and other chemicals that have traditionally been produced from fossil fuels such as oil, coal and natural gas.
ESF has the distinction of housing the country's oldest continuously operating degree-granting program in paper science and engineering. Since our inception in 1920 ESF has been at the forefront of defining the frontiers of the field.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210