ESF Announces New Name for Paper Engineering Program
Paper and Bioprocess Engineering
SYRACUSE, N.Y. The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has changed the name of its Faculty of Paper Science and Engineering to the Faculty of Paper and Bioprocess Engineering to reflect the addition of a new bioprocess engineering major.
The first and only program of its kind in the northeastern United States, the bioprocess engineering program seeks to train engineers who will work in the emerging bioprocessing and biofuels industry to produce energy and related chemical products from renewable resources.
Students in this program master a variety of subjects that are normally found in a chemical engineering program, and supplement those studies with advanced courses specific to bioprocess engineering. The program focuses on the use of wood and other renewable biomass materials to replace petroleum in energy and industrial product applications. Examples of this technology include the bioprocessing of ethanol, acetic acid, polymers, and other chemicals that have traditionally been produced from fossil fuels such as oil, coal and natural gas.
ESF has the distinction of housing the country's oldest continuously operating degree-granting program in paper science and engineering. Since our inception in 1920 ESF has been at the forefront of defining the frontiers of the field.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210