December 2006 Convocation
109 degrees awarded
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry awarded 109 degrees, including ten Doctors of Philosophy, during the 2006 December Convocation, December 8, 2006, at Hendricks Chapel.
Three alumni were also honored at the convocation. Curtis H. Bauer ’50 received the ESF Lifetime Achievement Award. Along with all of his other activities, Bauer has served on the ESF Board of Trustees for 30 years. Richard P. Wagenaar ’82 and Steven J. Anlian ’75 received the Alumni of Distinction Award. Colonel Wagenaar, a decorated military officer, is the leader of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans, La. He took over the post just six weeks before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast city. He is overseeing a $3 billion dollar project re-building the levees, waterways and wetlands destroyed by the hurricane.
Mr. Anlian has dedicated himself to rebuilding cities and homes devastated by disasters like the Armenian earthquake in 1989. He is director of infrastructure in the department of operations for the Millennium Challenge Corporation, a few federal corporation looking to redefine American foreign assistance.
Wagenaar and Anlian both said they were humbled by the ESF recognition and explained how their education helps them today and how it helped them chart a course in life.
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210