SUNY-ESF Student Takes to the Road, Fueled by Biodiesel
ESF student and biodiesel maker Greg Boyd finishes first in division
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact email@example.com if more information is required.
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry student Greg Boyd, who has been manufacturing his own biodiesel fuel since he was in high school, participated in the 2007 Green Grand Prix Rally in Watkins Glen on Friday, July 6, 2007.
The third annual rally was hosted by the International Motor Racing Research Center and featured hybrid- and alternative-fueled vehicles competing on a 78-mile course around Seneca Lake. The event emphasizes energy independence and includes educational activities.
Boyd, a senior at ESF, works with a processor installed in a former greenhouse on the ESF campus. This fall, he plans to use waste oil from a dining hall at neighboring Syracuse University to produce biodiesel that can run in any unmodified diesel engine. He said it produces 70 percent less emissions than petroleum diesel.
Boyd has modified the fuel lines in his 1989 Mercedes Benz so the car runs on biodiesel.
Friday’s rally focused on precision driving. The drivers and their navigators received a list of directions that included driving time and speed, and they were judged according to their arrival times at specified checkpoints along the course. Vehicles in the hybrid class were also rated according to their fuel economy.
Boyd finished first in his division.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210