Onondaga Lake Boat Tour 2007
ESF scientists and area leaders come together
Nearly 100 people boarded the Emita II at Dutchman’s Landing in Liverpool, NY for ESF’s third tour of Onondaga Lake, Thursday, Aug. 9, 2007 to view progress being made on restoring the lake.
Dr. Neil Ringler, dean of research, provided an update on Onondaga Lake’s improving fishery. During his presentation, ESF students pulled alongside the Emita II in a research boat to display fish netted that day. Among the varieties, some very large walleye pike, catfish and pan fish.
Dr. Donald Leopold, chair of the Department of Environmental Biology, explained the work being done to restore the lake’s inland salt marshes to help keep contaminants isolated in the Solvay Settling Basins.
John McAuliffe of Honeywell International showed off the new retaining wall they’ve constructed to prevent groundwater entry and explained how their new wastewater treatment plant is working. He also outlined the preparations being made for lake dredging.
Randy Ott of the Onondaga County Department of Water Environment Protection said expansion and upgrades of the storm water drainage system are on target to meet the necessary deadlines.
And, Dr. Richard Smardon, chair of the Department of Environmental Studies, briefed the group on efforts to restore Onondaga Creek, a major lake tributary that runs through the heart of the city of Syracuse.
Overall, ESF President Neil Murphy pointed out, about $1 billion is being invested in research and remediation to clean up Onondaga Lake and about half of that amount has been spent so far.
More ESF News
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210