ESF Alumnus Honored by International Society of Arboriculture
Nowak receives R.W. Harris Author's Citation
David Nowak, a project leader with the USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station based at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was honored with the International Society of Arboriculture's (ISA) prestigious R.W. Harris Author's Citation.
The R. W. Harris Author's Citation is given to authors for sustained excellence in the publication of timely information related to arboriculture. Nowak was recognized at a ceremony in Sydney, Australia, as part of the ISA Annual Conference and Trade Show, held July 23 through 27.
Nowak received his bachelor of science degree in forestry and biology in 1985 and his master's in urban forestry in 1986 from ESF. Among his achievements is working with partners at the U.S. Forest Service to develop the free software program known as i-Tree. Nowak says his most significant documented research relates to estimating pollution and carbon removal by urban trees in the United States. He also shares a part of the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize. Nowak was one of the 13 researchers from the Forest Service who contributed to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
"Nowak's dedication to research is a great representation of what is happening in arboriculture around the globe," said ISA President Tim Gamma. "Many years of study are ahead of him as he focuses on urban forest effects and change through time."
Nowak has written more than 200 research articles on the impact of urban forestry. He's responsible for investigating the health and change of urban trees on both the local and national levels. Nowak's research team and partners developed i-Tree, a free online software tool to assess and track services provided by the urban forest
"ISA is an international leader in arboriculture and urban forestry," said Nowak. "I am honored to be selected for this award. Dr. Harris is a great man and author. It is humbling to be given an award named for him.
Nowak is one of eight distinguished professionals who make up the circle of winners for ISA's Awards of Distinction, sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts. ISA has been honoring members and industry professionals with the Awards of Distinction since 1963. The International Society of Arboriculture, headquartered in Champaign, Ill., is a nonprofit organization supporting tree care research and education around the world.
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210