ESF Chemistry Students Present Research
Chemistry summer undergrads have strong showing at SU poster session
A group of undergraduate researchers in ESF's Chemistry Department had a productive and successful summer.
Seven chemistry students participated in a joint Summer Research Program with Syracuse University on Aug. 11. A total of 55 posters were presented from four programs hosting summer undergraduate researchers.
The ESF posters presented included topics in environmental chemistry, synthetic inorganic chemistry, natural products chemistry and polymer chemistry. ESF seniors Robert W. Miller and Kayla Relyea presented their work on the characterization of polymers conducted under the supervision of Dr. Arthur Stipanovic. In the area of environmental chemistry, junior Matthew Zelie presented his work with Dr. Theodore Dibble on mercury (II) compounds in the atmosphere and Kory Anacona from Clarkson University, presented her work on the detection of trace organic compounds in water conducted under the supervision of Dr. Kelley Donaghy. Junior Ronnie Ortiz and Kara Button (East Syracuse-Minoa High School, 2011) presented their synthetic work in boron hydride chemistry conducted under Donaghy's supervision. Kun Fang presented his work in natural products chemistry with Dr. Francis Webster.
Participating programs included SUNY Upstate Medical's Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, the Syracuse Biomaterials Institute RE and event host, SU's Department of Chemistry.
The annual poster session is supported by SU's Department of Chemistry through their National Science Foundation supported Research Experience for Undergraduates program.
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- Oakie Acorn Receives Mascot Madness Trophy
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210