ESF Brings Hands-on Science to the New York State Fair
College has been a part of the fair for decades
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) brings its Centennial Celebration to the New York State Fair with 12 days full of hands-on science and fun.
This year, the college is celebrating its centennial and its many years as a participant at the state fair. ESF has been staging exhibits, lectures and activities at the state fair since the early 1900s.
The year, ESF is offering the following programming:
Thursday, Aug. 25 and Friday, Aug. 26 - Where in the World is ESF?
The Office of Research Programs will highlight research ESF is conducting around the globe.
Saturday, Aug. 27 and Sunday, Aug. 28 - Water Works - Engineering with Nature
The Department of Environmental Resources Engineering will give fairgoers the opportunity to experience what water is capable of doing.
Monday, Aug. 29 - Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Take a break from the hubbub of the fair and bring the kids over for some environmentally themed activities, including pinecone birdfeeders and CD locker magnets.
Tuesday, Aug. 30 - From Molecules to Ecosystems
The Department of Environmental and Forest Biology will have information, exhibits, hands-on materials and answers to fair-goers' questions about interest areas including biotechnology, aquatic and fisheries science, entomology and invasive plant species.
Wednesday, Aug. 31 - Make Your Own Paper
Make hand-made paper with ESF's Department of Bioprocess and Paper Engineering.
Thursday, Sept. 1 - The Wonders of Chemistry
Kids can learn the science behind liquid nitrogen ice cream or make slime with ESF's Department of Chemistry.
Friday, Sept. 2 - Forest for the Trees
Learn about trees commonly found in New York state and about the Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management at ESF. Tree seedlings will be available along with planting information.
Saturday, Sept. 3 through Monday, Sept. 5 - Environmentally Friendly Arts & Crafts
Stop by and try some environmentally themed activities, including pinecone birdfeeders, java jacket masks and CD locker magnets.
ESF's exhibit is made possible through a cooperative agreement with New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
ESF's Salix Consortium will host an exhibit in the Horticulture Building Aug. 27 and 28 about willow, an environmentally sound, locally produced, renewable source of energy and bioproducts.
- The Cheer Fun of It
- Ph.D. Student Appointed to Federal Advisory Panel
- Study Cross-Links Pollution Extremes to Race, Socio-Economic Status
- ESF Participates in SUNY Training for University Police
- New Honor for the Chancellor: A Namesake Beetle
- Basketball Team Wins Back-to-back Games
- 2,000 Water Samples = One Busy Chemistry Lab
- Endreny Receives Fulbright Award as Distinguished Chair in Italy
- $190,000 SUNY Award Supports ESF Online Education
- ESF Confers Degrees upon December Graduates
- NSF Funds $1.12M for Transmission Electron Microscope at ESF
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Students Launch Online Literary Journal
- ESF to Divest from Fossil Fuel Investments
- Dr. Neil Murphy Receives USGBC Leadership Award
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210