ESF Shines at New York State Fair
188 volunteers staff College tent
What has 276 legs and contributed more than 750 hours of community service on behalf of ESF?
It's the 188 students, faculty, staff, family and friends that made ESF at the New York State Fair possible.
Continuing the College's Centennial Celebration, the departments of Environmental Resources Engineering, Environmental and Forest Biology, Paper and Bioprocess Engineering, Chemistry, and Forest and Natural Resources Management, along with the Office of Research Programs, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Salix Consortium and the Office of Communications pulled out all the stops to showcase what they have to offer not only fairgoers, but New York state.
During the 12-day fair students, faculty and staff taught people how to make handmade paper, answered questions about local flora and fauna, handed out tree seedlings, explained wastewater filtration with hands-on demonstrations and helped children turn items normally recycled into miniature works of art.
Beyond the 188 people who spent time at the fair, countless members of the campus community answered the call for arts and crafts "supplies" such as dead CDs, paper rolls, pinecones and java jackets.
This year the College also had two corporate partners assisting with different fair projects. Byrne Dairy donated all the dairy products the Department of Chemistry used to make liquid nitrogen ice cream. And Wegmans donated two boxes of java jackets following the coffee cup redesign that eliminated the sleeves. The generosity of both companies is greatly appreciated.
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210