ESF Shines at New York State Fair
188 volunteers staff College tent
What has 276 legs and contributed more than 750 hours of community service on behalf of ESF?
It's the 188 students, faculty, staff, family and friends that made ESF at the New York State Fair possible.
Continuing the College's Centennial Celebration, the departments of Environmental Resources Engineering, Environmental and Forest Biology, Paper and Bioprocess Engineering, Chemistry, and Forest and Natural Resources Management, along with the Office of Research Programs, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Salix Consortium and the Office of Communications pulled out all the stops to showcase what they have to offer not only fairgoers, but New York state.
During the 12-day fair students, faculty and staff taught people how to make handmade paper, answered questions about local flora and fauna, handed out tree seedlings, explained wastewater filtration with hands-on demonstrations and helped children turn items normally recycled into miniature works of art.
Beyond the 188 people who spent time at the fair, countless members of the campus community answered the call for arts and crafts "supplies" such as dead CDs, paper rolls, pinecones and java jackets.
This year the College also had two corporate partners assisting with different fair projects. Byrne Dairy donated all the dairy products the Department of Chemistry used to make liquid nitrogen ice cream. And Wegmans donated two boxes of java jackets following the coffee cup redesign that eliminated the sleeves. The generosity of both companies is greatly appreciated.
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'
- Ducks Unlimited Lists ESF among 'Sweet 16' Collegiate Chapters
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210