ESF Shines at New York State Fair
188 volunteers staff College tent
What has 276 legs and contributed more than 750 hours of community service on behalf of ESF?
It's the 188 students, faculty, staff, family and friends that made ESF at the New York State Fair possible.
Continuing the College's Centennial Celebration, the departments of Environmental Resources Engineering, Environmental and Forest Biology, Paper and Bioprocess Engineering, Chemistry, and Forest and Natural Resources Management, along with the Office of Research Programs, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Salix Consortium and the Office of Communications pulled out all the stops to showcase what they have to offer not only fairgoers, but New York state.
During the 12-day fair students, faculty and staff taught people how to make handmade paper, answered questions about local flora and fauna, handed out tree seedlings, explained wastewater filtration with hands-on demonstrations and helped children turn items normally recycled into miniature works of art.
Beyond the 188 people who spent time at the fair, countless members of the campus community answered the call for arts and crafts "supplies" such as dead CDs, paper rolls, pinecones and java jackets.
This year the College also had two corporate partners assisting with different fair projects. Byrne Dairy donated all the dairy products the Department of Chemistry used to make liquid nitrogen ice cream. And Wegmans donated two boxes of java jackets following the coffee cup redesign that eliminated the sleeves. The generosity of both companies is greatly appreciated.
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath — Here’s the Global Scope
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210