ESF Scientists to Celebrate National Chemistry Week
Free, hands-on demonstrations put focus on chemistry and wellness
Students from the ESF Department of Chemistry will demonstrate the connection between chemistry and healthy living this weekend.
Chemistry in Health will be held 10:23 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Manley Field House. The day will be filled with free chemistry demonstrations, prizes, and health information for all ages. The exhibits will highlight how chemists contribute to improving health by making important contributions to education, the prevention of illness and finding cures for diseases.
Prior to Chemistry in Health, the inaugural Carol M. Baldwin "A Run for THEIR Life" 15K run and 5K run and walk will be held at 9 a.m. Same-day registration at Manley Field House is available beginning at 7 a.m., closing at 8:15 a.m. The run/walk travels through the University Hill area and Armory Square. More information about the run/walk is available at www.findacurecny.org.
Chemistry in Health is part of National Chemistry Week Celebration and also falls on Mole Day which commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 1023), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry, making Oct. 23 - or 10/23 - a special day in the world of chemistry. Hence, as well, the unusual start time for the event.
Organizations participating in Chemistry in Health are The Alchemists and general chemistry class students from ESF, Syracuse University, Onondaga Community College, Utica College, SUNY Cortland, Hamilton, and Lemoyne. High school students from East Syracuse Minoa, Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-Dewitt, and Jordon-Elbridge will also participate.
Manley Field House is located at the corner of East Colvin Street and Comstock Avenue.
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ‘Amazing Experience’ with Animals Leads to Career Goal
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210