ESF Scientists to Celebrate National Chemistry Week
Free, hands-on demonstrations put focus on chemistry and wellness
Students from the ESF Department of Chemistry will demonstrate the connection between chemistry and healthy living this weekend.
Chemistry in Health will be held 10:23 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Manley Field House. The day will be filled with free chemistry demonstrations, prizes, and health information for all ages. The exhibits will highlight how chemists contribute to improving health by making important contributions to education, the prevention of illness and finding cures for diseases.
Prior to Chemistry in Health, the inaugural Carol M. Baldwin "A Run for THEIR Life" 15K run and 5K run and walk will be held at 9 a.m. Same-day registration at Manley Field House is available beginning at 7 a.m., closing at 8:15 a.m. The run/walk travels through the University Hill area and Armory Square. More information about the run/walk is available at www.findacurecny.org.
Chemistry in Health is part of National Chemistry Week Celebration and also falls on Mole Day which commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 1023), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry, making Oct. 23 - or 10/23 - a special day in the world of chemistry. Hence, as well, the unusual start time for the event.
Organizations participating in Chemistry in Health are The Alchemists and general chemistry class students from ESF, Syracuse University, Onondaga Community College, Utica College, SUNY Cortland, Hamilton, and Lemoyne. High school students from East Syracuse Minoa, Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-Dewitt, and Jordon-Elbridge will also participate.
Manley Field House is located at the corner of East Colvin Street and Comstock Avenue.
- New Book By ESF Professors Released
- Biomimicry Focus of Two-Day Event at ESF
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Sweep Conference Championships
- ESF Celebrates Role of Field Science in Society
- ESF Education Helps Alumnus Launch Agritourism Success
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- Beer Eases Final Moments for Euthanized Invertebrates
- ERE Major Tackles Wastewater Plan in Iceland
- 44 ESF Students Spend Summer as DEC Interns
- Paper Engineering Boosts Student through Semester Abroad
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Restoring Giant in Galapagos
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF Senior
- Summer on the Farm
- Workshop Highlights Role of Citizen Science in Battling Microplastics
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210