ESF Scientists to Celebrate National Chemistry Week
Free, hands-on demonstrations put focus on chemistry and wellness
Students from the ESF Department of Chemistry will demonstrate the connection between chemistry and healthy living this weekend.
Chemistry in Health will be held 10:23 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Manley Field House. The day will be filled with free chemistry demonstrations, prizes, and health information for all ages. The exhibits will highlight how chemists contribute to improving health by making important contributions to education, the prevention of illness and finding cures for diseases.
Prior to Chemistry in Health, the inaugural Carol M. Baldwin "A Run for THEIR Life" 15K run and 5K run and walk will be held at 9 a.m. Same-day registration at Manley Field House is available beginning at 7 a.m., closing at 8:15 a.m. The run/walk travels through the University Hill area and Armory Square. More information about the run/walk is available at www.findacurecny.org.
Chemistry in Health is part of National Chemistry Week Celebration and also falls on Mole Day which commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 1023), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry, making Oct. 23 - or 10/23 - a special day in the world of chemistry. Hence, as well, the unusual start time for the event.
Organizations participating in Chemistry in Health are The Alchemists and general chemistry class students from ESF, Syracuse University, Onondaga Community College, Utica College, SUNY Cortland, Hamilton, and Lemoyne. High school students from East Syracuse Minoa, Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-Dewitt, and Jordon-Elbridge will also participate.
Manley Field House is located at the corner of East Colvin Street and Comstock Avenue.
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
- ESF Hosts Photo Exhibit of Migratory Birds along Onondaga Lake
- Study Examines Conditions for Growing Young Chestnuts
- Cultural Education
- AICís Artists-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Scientists Honored for Study on Improving Odds for Bats' Survival
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210