All The News That’s Fit To Print
Student publications chronicle college’s history through the decades
Various student publications have kept careful track of campus happenings through the years. In the yearbook, camp log or college newspaper students have written and and created drawings about the people, events and news of the day as it affected life in Syracuse.
The yearbook, the Empire Forester, was first published in 1915. Early editions featured articles about campus clubs and research, drawings and poems, and photos capturing images of the time.
The Knothole, the official student newspaper, first hit the presses in 1938 and was sponsored by Alpha Xi Sigma. For much of its existence, The Knothole was simply typed and copied on 8.5 x 11 paper. Today, it's delivered to campus on newsprint, is available online and boasts its own Facebook page.
The Camp Log chronicled the happenings at Summer Camp, which provided students with the opportunity to do field work and hone the skills they had learned in the classroom. The Camp Log featured anecdotes of the summer's activities, many inside jokes and articles on research the students and faculty conducted during this time.
While The Camp Log no longer exists, the Empire Forester and The Knothole continue to reflect what students are doing and what is important to ESFers.
More ESF News
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210