Menís Basketball Team Completes First Season
Eight seniors honored for contributions to team
The Mighty Oaks men's basketball club team wrapped up its season Feb. 18 at Christian Brothers Academy against the visiting SUNY Cortland club team.
Before the contest, the Mighty Oaks paid tribute to their eight graduating seniors: Tim Hornstein, Derrick Knudsen, Aaron Wirth, Mike Cook, Mark Wyns, Chris Powers, Justin Canfield and student assistant coach Doug Kabat for their contributions to the program.
The Mighty Oaks opened the first half with a couple of early baskets by Cook and Knudsen as ESF took an early lead. The Cortland club soon figured out the Oaks' zone defense, however, and finished the half with a steal in the final eight seconds to go into halftime with a 34-23 lead. ESF battled back in the second half, as has been the team's practice in the last four games, to cut the Cortland lead to 1 point with just over three minutes to play. The Mighty Oaks used an aggressive full court press, forcing Cortland to commit six turnovers in two minutes. A major scoring contribution came from Hornstein, a forward who had four three-point buckets.
Cortland ultimately sealed the victory from the free throw line and took home the win, 75-65.
The Mighty Oaks were again led by Knudsen, a point guard, who finished his career with a game high 19 points and his first double-double by also collecting 10 assists.
- N.Y. Lieutenant Governor Joins ESF Leaders for Lab Openings
- Syracuse Poster Project on Display at Moon Library
- ESF Welcomes Strong Class for Fall 2016
- Alumna's Career Changes But Environmental Focus Remains
- Yoga Peaks Revitalizes Mind and Body
- DEC Accepts Great South Woods Report For Planning Review
- Alumna Launches Career with Saws and Llamas
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- SRC Fellowship Supports Student in Battle against Mosquitoes
- ESF among SUNY Leaders in Support for Minority-, Women-owned Businesses
- Great Lakes Research Consortium Awards Three Grants
- ESF Integrates Indigenous Knowledge into New Graduate Program
- Feinstone Environmental Awards Honor Women in Science
- Loon Race Celebrates Summer at Newcomb Campus
- ESF Monitors Waters of Sodus Bay
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210