ESF's 2008 Feinstone Speaker Tapped as President's Top Science Advisor
Dr. John Holdren is chosen for the Obama administration.
President Barack Obama has announced his appointment of Dr. John Holdren, who spoke at ESF in October, to high-ranking science advisory positions in the new administration.
Holdren has been chosen as Assistant to the President for Science and Technology, Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, and Co-Chair of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST).
Holdren addressed the ESF campus community in October 2008 on the topic of "Science and Economics of Sustainability: Managing the Competing Uses of Land, Water, and Forests Under a Changing Climate." He was also the featured speaker at the ESF Foundation's 2008 Sol Feinstone Environmental Awards Dinner, at which ESF alumni Jesse M. Fink and Elizabeth C. "Betsy" Mitchell-Fink were honored for their work advancing environmental entrepreneurship.
Holdren is the Teresa and John Heinz Professor of Environmental Policy at Harvard University and director of the Woods Hole Research Center in Falmouth, Mass. He previously was a member of President Clinton's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210