ESF Provides a "Green Sweep" for St. Patrick's Parade
City of Syracuse street sweepers are fueled by biodiesel
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) donated 40 gallons of sustainable biodiesel fuel to the city of Syracuse for use during the annual St. Patrick's Parade.
The biodiesel, made with used fryer oil as part of a broader ESF research project on the development of sustainable energy, was to be mixed with traditional diesel and used to fuel street sweepers. The sweepers work early to prepare the parade route for some 140 marching units and up to 75,000 spectators. The sweepers are busy again after the three-hour event.
The donation, initiated by ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., who was the parade grand marshal in 2007, is part of the St. Patrick's Parade Committee's effort to make the annual event more sustainable. The number of vehicles in the lineup has been limited this year, participants were urged to construct floats from recyclable - or recycled material, and spectators were encouraged to use mass transit to travel to downtown Syracuse.
About 60 members of the ESF community marched in the parade behind the college's signature "I Bleed Green" banner. In keeping with the parade theme, "Tir na nOg - Land of Eternal Youth," the ESF contingent carried dozens of balloons decorated with an Earth motif and banners that read, "Keeping the earth eternally young, ESF gets it done."
The ESF marchers distributed 5,000 packets of non-invasive sunflower seeds to help welcome spring to Central New York.
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath — Here’s the Global Scope
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210