EPA Honors Alumnus as Environmental Leader
Michalenko recognized for environmental work
Edward Michalenko, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was honored with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Environmental Quality Award for achievements in protecting public health and the environment.
Michalenko '84, '91, serves as president of the Onondaga Environmental Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to public education, scientific research, planning and restoration of the environment. As town supervisor of Dewitt, Michalenko designed the town's tiered Solid Waste Removal System, which promotes recycling and waste reduction. He is actively pursuing alternate energy technologies for town facilities and working to acquire parklands and green space, among a range of other sustainable initiatives.
"Change that will create a healthier and more sustainable future begins with people like those the EPA is honoring," said Regional Administrator Judith A. Enck. "They give of themselves and set a high bar in their actions to protect public health and the environment."
EPA presents Environmental Quality Awards annually to individuals, businesses, government agencies, environmental and community-based organizations and members of the media in EPA Region 2, which comprises New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and eight tribal nations. The awards recognize significant contributions to improving the environment and public health in the previous calendar year.
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-LeMoyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
- Walk on the Wild Side
- USA President Focuses on Building Relationships
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210