ESF Brings Science to Syracuse Youth
College community assists with Honeywell Internationalís Summer Science Week
ESF students, faculty and alumni served as instructors at Honeywell International's Summer Science Week teaching local middle school students about an array of environmental topics.
Approximately 80 middle school students from the Syracuse area participated in the camp, held during July at the Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science and Technology (MOST) in downtown Syracuse.
Campers spent the week exploring the Onondaga Lake watershed and helping with hands-on experiments in areas dealing with hydrology, dendrology, geology, ornithology and entomology.
ESF students Kate Fuller, a senior, and Brigitte Moneymaker, a junior, along with Kate Hibbard (EFB '10) served as Science Week team leaders. Dr. Neal Abrams of the Department of Chemistry, gave a presentation on renewable wind energy usage at ESF's Heiberg Forest. The week also included a guided tour of the green initiatives taking place on ESF's main campus, including the construction of the Gateway Center and a research effort to restore the American elm tree.
After completing Science Week, students returned to the MOST the following Wednesday for Discovery Day when they received a flash drive containing the data collected from their experiments. The students used this data to create posters that were shared during an award ceremony in which the students received certificates for their participation in the program.
- By Brigitte Moneymaker, Environmental Science '14
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ĎNatureí Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Studentís ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210