Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Start Season with Victories
Men and women win scrimmages against Jefferson
The ESF Mighty Oaks soccer teams got off to a great start this season with both teams winning scrimmages against the Jefferson Community College (JCC) Cannoneers.
Playing at Onondaga Community College Saturday, Aug. 25, the Mighty Oaks women won the opener against JCC 4-1.
Senior Mary Clark started the scoring with an early goal. Solid midfield created an opportunity for USCAA All-American sophomore Bridget Cuddihy, who scored to put the Mighty Oaks up 2-0. The Cannoneers responded with a late first-half goal. The Mighty Oaks came out strong in the second half, outshooting JCC 13-2, and netting a goal by junoir Jessica Savo and another by Cuddihy. Savo and freshman Jessica Straub both contributed assists adn freshman goalkeeper Nicole Madden had six saves.
The Mighty Oaks men played later in the afternoon, defeating the JCC team by a score of 2-0. Leading the ESF offense were sophomores Dillon Buchberg, who scored the first goal three mnutes intothe game, and Kyle Bardwell, who scored 10 minutes later on a fast break. Junior Ross Volpe had an assist. The Mighty Oaks goalkeeper, sophomore Michael Walczyk, had three saves. The Might Oaks outshot the Cannoneers 24 to 4.
The ESF soccer teams will play Aug. 31 at Onondaga Community College. The men will kick off at 5 p.m.; the women will play at 7 p.m. The teams will play for the "King and Queen of the the Hill Cups" in match play established in 2011 for the annual match between ESF and Onondaga.
- Feinstone Environmental Awards Honor Women in Science
- Loon Race Celebrates Summer at Newcomb Campus
- ESF Monitors Waters of Sodus Bay
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210