Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Start Season with Victories
Men and women win scrimmages against Jefferson
The ESF Mighty Oaks soccer teams got off to a great start this season with both teams winning scrimmages against the Jefferson Community College (JCC) Cannoneers.
Playing at Onondaga Community College Saturday, Aug. 25, the Mighty Oaks women won the opener against JCC 4-1.
Senior Mary Clark started the scoring with an early goal. Solid midfield created an opportunity for USCAA All-American sophomore Bridget Cuddihy, who scored to put the Mighty Oaks up 2-0. The Cannoneers responded with a late first-half goal. The Mighty Oaks came out strong in the second half, outshooting JCC 13-2, and netting a goal by junoir Jessica Savo and another by Cuddihy. Savo and freshman Jessica Straub both contributed assists adn freshman goalkeeper Nicole Madden had six saves.
The Mighty Oaks men played later in the afternoon, defeating the JCC team by a score of 2-0. Leading the ESF offense were sophomores Dillon Buchberg, who scored the first goal three mnutes intothe game, and Kyle Bardwell, who scored 10 minutes later on a fast break. Junior Ross Volpe had an assist. The Mighty Oaks goalkeeper, sophomore Michael Walczyk, had three saves. The Might Oaks outshot the Cannoneers 24 to 4.
The ESF soccer teams will play Aug. 31 at Onondaga Community College. The men will kick off at 5 p.m.; the women will play at 7 p.m. The teams will play for the "King and Queen of the the Hill Cups" in match play established in 2011 for the annual match between ESF and Onondaga.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210