Mighty Oaks Menís Soccer Win Barkeater Cup
Team defeats Paul Smiths for second year in soccer rivalry
For the second year running ESF's men's soccer team took home the Barkeater Cup.
Kyle Bardwell got the goal in the 65th minute off an assist from Ross Volpe, making the score 1-0 against Paul Smiths and eventually winning the game. In this defensive battle of a game, Rob Hamm, Steve Tyrell, Tim McNaney, and Adam Scalisi all stepped up in the backfield, helping out goalkeeper Michael Walzyk. Kyle Siegal and Ryan Craig also had great midfield play.
Senior Adrian Wiegman said, "It was great to have a crowd behind us today. We all wanted this win. We want the campus to know about our rivalry with Paul Smiths. It gives us a sense of school pride to bring the Barkeater Cup back for another year, we don't want that Cup to leave our campus."
As for the girls, despite the early Paul Smiths' goal the Mighty Oaks women were able to bring the game to overtime before losing in a 1-2 heartbreaker. Sophomore Bridget Cuddihy scored the goal that brought it to overtime in the 78th minute.
ESF controlled most of the game, outshooting Paul Smiths 21-6. Paul Smiths took the Barkeater Cup home for the first time in history. The Oaks vow to bring back the cup in 2013.
The ESF men's and women's soccer teams presented an honorary captainship of the match to Senior Kevan Busa. Busa is a former team member and captain who is continuing his studies while undergoing treatment for leukemia. If you would like to help the teams' pledge to support their teammate, there will be a bone marrow registry and blood drive on campus Nov. 13 and 14.
"Kevan's presence today really inspired the players - his former teammates and friends - in today's win," said Jon Ramin, associate soccer coach.
By Audrey Hart SU '15
- ESF Education a Family Affair for Schiavone Brothers
- Oakie Flies into Final Four
- Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
- ESF Professorís Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNYís Mascot Madness
- ESF-Le Moyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESFís Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNYís Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210