SUNY-ESF Offers Basic Photovoltaic Installer Training
Fall courses approved for professional development hours
Registration is now being accepted for the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry's (ESF) Solar Power As Renewable Energy (SPARE) basic photovoltaic installer training course this fall.
The basic course is a four-day format that includes instruction on siting, design and installation of photovoltaic (PV) systems. The course includes sizing systems for both grid-connected and off-grid PV systems. The solar resource and the problems associated with shading, orientation and tilt will be reviewed. Also covered will be basic sizing and system design in relation to electrical load, safety practices for installers and the study of the electrical code for PV systems, various mounting systems for PV arrays and how they affect roofs. As part of the class, students will build a working PV system. The course will be taught by Dr. Gay Canough of ETM Solar Works and Dr. Neal Abrams of the ESF Department of Chemistry.
Dates for the basic SPARE course are Oct. 22-25, and Nov. 5-8. Class will be 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The course is board recognized by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners and approved for 21 professional development hours for engineers. SPARE participants should have either a high school diploma or a GED.
An advanced Commercial SPARE one-day course will be offered Nov. 6 and Dec. 6. This course will focus on the larger scale commercial PV installations. The basic SPARE course is the prerequisite to this course. The course counts for seven hours of classroom instruction.
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ‘Amazing Experience’ with Animals Leads to Career Goal
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210