SUNY-ESF Offers Basic Photovoltaic Installer Training
Fall courses approved for professional development hours
Registration is now being accepted for the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry's (ESF) Solar Power As Renewable Energy (SPARE) basic photovoltaic installer training course this fall.
The basic course is a four-day format that includes instruction on siting, design and installation of photovoltaic (PV) systems. The course includes sizing systems for both grid-connected and off-grid PV systems. The solar resource and the problems associated with shading, orientation and tilt will be reviewed. Also covered will be basic sizing and system design in relation to electrical load, safety practices for installers and the study of the electrical code for PV systems, various mounting systems for PV arrays and how they affect roofs. As part of the class, students will build a working PV system. The course will be taught by Dr. Gay Canough of ETM Solar Works and Dr. Neal Abrams of the ESF Department of Chemistry.
Dates for the basic SPARE course are Oct. 22-25, and Nov. 5-8. Class will be 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The course is board recognized by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners and approved for 21 professional development hours for engineers. SPARE participants should have either a high school diploma or a GED.
An advanced Commercial SPARE one-day course will be offered Nov. 6 and Dec. 6. This course will focus on the larger scale commercial PV installations. The basic SPARE course is the prerequisite to this course. The course counts for seven hours of classroom instruction.
- Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-LeMoyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
- Walk on the Wild Side
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210