Mighty Oaks Finish Basketball Season with Win
ESF outscores The New School 104-52
The ESF men's basketball team wrapped up its first varsity season with a home win over The New School Narwhals Feb. 16. The final score was 104-52.
The Mighty Oaks led the entire first half although not without some pressure. With four minutes left they were ahead by 10 points and, by halftime, they had extended the lead to 22, with a score of 50-28. The ESF players never looked back as they quickly extended their lead to 20 points at the start of the second half. A dominating 66-24 run in the game's final 22 minutes secured the win.
Five ESF players scored in double figures as they were led by senior Zach Kalette's double-double of 10 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. Danny MacElrath also recorded a double-double with a career-high 18 points and 11 rebounds. His 18 points also marked the ninth consecutive contest in which he scored 10 or more points. Seniors Cody Quinn (six rebounds) and Michael Fish (six points) also had career highs. Sophomore Matt Kowalski had nine assists.
The Mighty Oaks honored their four graduating seniors: forward Kalette, center Fish, and guards Josh Puzan and Quinn, along with student assistant Jean-Noel Seri and student manager Melody Papapietro before the start of the contest.
The Mighty Oaks set numerous records in the game, with a program high in points for a game (104), field goal percentage in a game (48 percent), total rebounds (65) and points in the paint (60). Defensively, the Mighty Oaks also set a team record for lowest field goal percentage defense (28 percent) and three-point percentage defense (12 percent) against The New School.
Ending the season 3-11, the Mighty Oaks thank their seniors for all of their hard work and dedication in building the program from a club to a collegiate varsity program. Next season should be filled with much promise as nine players return. The Might Oaks also thank all of their fans and families for their support.
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
- Forbes Ranks ESF Among Nation’s Top Colleges
- Annual Value of Trees? $500 Million Per Megacity, Study Says
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- Sierra Club Puts ESF among Nation’s Top ‘Cool Schools’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210