Mighty Oaks Finish Basketball Season with Win
ESF outscores The New School 104-52
The ESF men's basketball team wrapped up its first varsity season with a home win over The New School Narwhals Feb. 16. The final score was 104-52.
The Mighty Oaks led the entire first half although not without some pressure. With four minutes left they were ahead by 10 points and, by halftime, they had extended the lead to 22, with a score of 50-28. The ESF players never looked back as they quickly extended their lead to 20 points at the start of the second half. A dominating 66-24 run in the game's final 22 minutes secured the win.
Five ESF players scored in double figures as they were led by senior Zach Kalette's double-double of 10 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. Danny MacElrath also recorded a double-double with a career-high 18 points and 11 rebounds. His 18 points also marked the ninth consecutive contest in which he scored 10 or more points. Seniors Cody Quinn (six rebounds) and Michael Fish (six points) also had career highs. Sophomore Matt Kowalski had nine assists.
The Mighty Oaks honored their four graduating seniors: forward Kalette, center Fish, and guards Josh Puzan and Quinn, along with student assistant Jean-Noel Seri and student manager Melody Papapietro before the start of the contest.
The Mighty Oaks set numerous records in the game, with a program high in points for a game (104), field goal percentage in a game (48 percent), total rebounds (65) and points in the paint (60). Defensively, the Mighty Oaks also set a team record for lowest field goal percentage defense (28 percent) and three-point percentage defense (12 percent) against The New School.
Ending the season 3-11, the Mighty Oaks thank their seniors for all of their hard work and dedication in building the program from a club to a collegiate varsity program. Next season should be filled with much promise as nine players return. The Might Oaks also thank all of their fans and families for their support.
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- Oakie Acorn Receives Mascot Madness Trophy
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210