Mighty Oaks Finish Basketball Season with Win
ESF outscores The New School 104-52
The ESF men's basketball team wrapped up its first varsity season with a home win over The New School Narwhals Feb. 16. The final score was 104-52.
The Mighty Oaks led the entire first half although not without some pressure. With four minutes left they were ahead by 10 points and, by halftime, they had extended the lead to 22, with a score of 50-28. The ESF players never looked back as they quickly extended their lead to 20 points at the start of the second half. A dominating 66-24 run in the game's final 22 minutes secured the win.
Five ESF players scored in double figures as they were led by senior Zach Kalette's double-double of 10 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. Danny MacElrath also recorded a double-double with a career-high 18 points and 11 rebounds. His 18 points also marked the ninth consecutive contest in which he scored 10 or more points. Seniors Cody Quinn (six rebounds) and Michael Fish (six points) also had career highs. Sophomore Matt Kowalski had nine assists.
The Mighty Oaks honored their four graduating seniors: forward Kalette, center Fish, and guards Josh Puzan and Quinn, along with student assistant Jean-Noel Seri and student manager Melody Papapietro before the start of the contest.
The Mighty Oaks set numerous records in the game, with a program high in points for a game (104), field goal percentage in a game (48 percent), total rebounds (65) and points in the paint (60). Defensively, the Mighty Oaks also set a team record for lowest field goal percentage defense (28 percent) and three-point percentage defense (12 percent) against The New School.
Ending the season 3-11, the Mighty Oaks thank their seniors for all of their hard work and dedication in building the program from a club to a collegiate varsity program. Next season should be filled with much promise as nine players return. The Might Oaks also thank all of their fans and families for their support.
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Teamwork Gets Soccer Players Volunteering for Food Recovery
- 9 Reasons Why ESF Students Love Centennial Hall
- 18 ESF Student-athletes Earn Fall Honors
- Mighty Oaks Women Fall in National Soccer Tournament Final
- Malmsheimer Receives Sir William Schlich Memorial Award
- ESF Hosts Symposium on Divestment and ‘Just Transition’
- XC Men Repeat as Conference Champs; Women 2nd
- New Book By ESF Professors Released
- Biomimicry Focus of Two-Day Event at ESF
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams Sweep Conference Championships
- ESF Celebrates Role of Field Science in Society
- ESF Education Helps Alumnus Launch Agritourism Success
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210