Oakie Advances to Round 2 of Mascot Madness
Acorn faces Farmingdale’s Rambo the Ram
Oakie the Acorn upset 5th seed SUNY Delhi's Lucky the Bronco to advance to Round 2 in SUNY's Mascot Madness.
Oakie, the mascot of ESF's Mighty Oaks athletic teams and 28th seed in the tourney, trounced Lucky 2,171 to 1,630 to advance to the next round and face Farmingdale's Rambo the Ram. Farmingdale is a#12 seed.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions with five rounds. Thirty SUNY campuses representing 472 athletic teams and more than 220,000 students are participating.
Votes can be cast at www.facebook.com/generationsuny. Each person is allowed one vote per round, per matchup. You may vote from any electronic device: laptop, desktop, smartphone, tablet, iPod.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 4. The winning college will receive a yet-to-be named prize from SUNY.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament including mascots' origin stories, thoughts on representing their teams, favorite events, friends and food, and what they like to do for fun.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams a particular campus represents with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents nine men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF can trace its roots all the way back to 1912, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on several ESF intercollegiate athletic teams, including soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, and track. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
- Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-LeMoyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
- Walk on the Wild Side
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210