New York Sea Grant Seeks Students to Work as Launch Stewards
Students will provide outreach to boaters regarding invasive species
ESF students have the opportunity to spend the summer of 2013 working outdoors as Launch Stewards at venues in Wayne, Cayuga, Oswego and Jefferson counties, including on Sodus Bay, Henderson Harbor, Oneida Lake, and the Salmon River Reservoir.
The student-stewards, working under the leadership of New York Sea Grant (NYSG), will provide public outreach to boaters on ways to minimize and prevent aquatic invasive species in local waters. They will participate in educational outreach, watercraft inspection demonstrations, data collection, and reporting.
The stewards also write informational articles published by local media outlets, including the Oswego County Weeklies, Jefferson County Journal, and Lure of the Lake.
New York Sea Grant Coastal Community Development Specialist Mary Penney will supervise the Launch Stewards. Uniforms will be provided to help the public identify the stewards and they will use a standardized protocol New York Sea Grant has helped develop for water steward programs statewide.
The full PDF announcement of the New York Sea Grant Launch Steward opportunity with position description and qualifications is online at www.nyseagrant.org/coastalcomm/pdfs/NYSGLaunchStewRecruit2013.pdf.
Applications will be accepted online at email@example.com until positions are filled. For details, contact Penney at New York Sea Grant, SUNY Oswego, 315-315-3042.
NYSG, a cooperative program of Cornell University and the State University of New York, is one of 33 university-based programs under the National Sea Grant College Program of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Through its statewide network of integrated services, NYSG has been promoting coastal vitality, environmental sustainability and citizen awareness about the state's marine and Great Lakes resources since 1971.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210