New York Sea Grant Seeks Students to Work as Launch Stewards
Students will provide outreach to boaters regarding invasive species
ESF students have the opportunity to spend the summer of 2013 working outdoors as Launch Stewards at venues in Wayne, Cayuga, Oswego and Jefferson counties, including on Sodus Bay, Henderson Harbor, Oneida Lake, and the Salmon River Reservoir.
The student-stewards, working under the leadership of New York Sea Grant (NYSG), will provide public outreach to boaters on ways to minimize and prevent aquatic invasive species in local waters. They will participate in educational outreach, watercraft inspection demonstrations, data collection, and reporting.
The stewards also write informational articles published by local media outlets, including the Oswego County Weeklies, Jefferson County Journal, and Lure of the Lake.
New York Sea Grant Coastal Community Development Specialist Mary Penney will supervise the Launch Stewards. Uniforms will be provided to help the public identify the stewards and they will use a standardized protocol New York Sea Grant has helped develop for water steward programs statewide.
The full PDF announcement of the New York Sea Grant Launch Steward opportunity with position description and qualifications is online at www.nyseagrant.org/coastalcomm/pdfs/NYSGLaunchStewRecruit2013.pdf.
Applications will be accepted online at email@example.com until positions are filled. For details, contact Penney at New York Sea Grant, SUNY Oswego, 315-315-3042.
NYSG, a cooperative program of Cornell University and the State University of New York, is one of 33 university-based programs under the National Sea Grant College Program of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Through its statewide network of integrated services, NYSG has been promoting coastal vitality, environmental sustainability and citizen awareness about the state's marine and Great Lakes resources since 1971.
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
- Forbes Ranks ESF Among Nation’s Top Colleges
- Annual Value of Trees? $500 Million Per Megacity, Study Says
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- Sierra Club Puts ESF among Nation’s Top ‘Cool Schools’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210