ESF College Foundation Honors Miller for Teaching Achievement
Landscape architecture instructor is ESF alumnus
Anthony J. Miller, an instructor in the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry's (ESF) Department of Landscape Architecture, has received the 2013 ESF College Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Teaching.
Miller, who earned his bachelor's degree from ESF in 1973 and returned to teach 14 years ago, was praised as a skilled educator who encourages students to think deeply about their chosen field. He has taught an array of classes in the department, including design studios, history of landscape architecture and graphic communication.
ESF students who supported the nomination stated Miller is routinely available to help them with projects and problem solving, even if they are not enrolled in his class. Students describe Miller as fun, understanding and forgiving. He was praised for encouraging his students to delve into history to understand the historic social and cultural mores that helped shaped the spaces they work on in their design projects.
In addition to his degree from ESF, Miller did graduate work at Edinburgh University and earned his M.A. from Syracuse University. He has extensive professional experience as a landscape architect.
The ESF College Foundation, the charitable organization that provides support to ESF, established the award in 1999 to celebrate the accomplishments of ESF faculty members who have achieved excellence in their teaching responsibilities. The Foundation provides winners with a personalized framed citation and a cash award of $1,000. A plaque displayed on the ESF campus permanently lists the names of all recipients.
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210