Soccer Teams Open Season with Tournament Wins
Mighty Oaks capture titles at NHTI
The Mighty Oaks' soccer season kicked off for both the men's and women's teams Labor Day weekend in the NHTI Tournament in New Hampshire with both teams bringing home the championships.
The women had a commanding 8-0 win over Fisher College from Massachusetts to start the season. Junior Bridgette Cuddihy had the first hat trick of the season. Sue Fassler, Alyssa Johnsen and Greta Harvey also contributed goals, with Johnsen and Harvey each scoring two.
The women continued their success against NHTI, winning 6-1 in the tournament championship. Bryony Striffler and Heather Carl each had two goals, and Cuddihy and Harvey had one.
Madison Cumminsky earned All-Tournament Team honors with her defensive prowess. She commented, "The team's depth led to our domination on the field this weekend." Striffler was voted tournament MVP.
The men won their tournament as well, kicking off the season with an 8-0 win over Fisher College. Ross Volpe, Dan McGraw, Kyle Bardwell, Zac Reda, Owen Hennigan, Joe Marino, Chris Perretti, and Dillon Buchburg each had a goal in the shutout. The next day, the men took on NHTI in the final, winning 6-2. Reda, Ryan Graig, Bardwell, Kyle Siegel, Ross Volpe and Buchburg each contributed a goal.
The women will face SUNY Delhi on Sunday at noon Sept. 8 while men will face Broome Community College at 4 p.m. Sept. 6.
- By Audrey Hart, SU '15
- ESF President Joins U.S. Leaders : 'We Are Still In’ on Paris Agreement
- Mighty Oaks Welcome a New Coach
- SUNY Ranks among Top 100 Worldwide for Patents Granted in 2016
- Philosopher’s Camp Returns to Newcomb Campus
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210