ESF Men Race to Second in Oswego
Women take seventh in tough field
The ESF men's cross-country team finished second among 12 teams Saturday, Sept. 7, at the Oswego Cross Country Classic, beating both the University of Rochester and Ithaca College, a huge milestone for ESF men's sports as the runners finished ahead of traditional NCAA Divison III powerhouses.
"For the ESF men to now be able to not only compete - now begin to beat teams such as the U of R and Ithaca - is huge given the history of their programs," said Coach John View. "A huge shout out to the men for their courageous effort."
SUNY Cortland placed first, taking the first five spots.
ESF's Tom Arcuri was the first of the Mighty Oaks to place, finishing ninth. Timmy Callahan, 10th, and Jon Cleveland, 11th, were right behind him. Stephen Slonosky came in next at 20th and Peter LeDuc was 26th with Malcolm Moncheur 27th. Also running well for ESF were Taylor Yerrick, 32nd; Jacob Wolfgong, 51st; Michael Persson, 54th; Reed Scott, 61st; Nick Grieco, 63rd; Jeremy Driscoll, 65th; James McKenna, 66th; Alex Fisher, 81st; Kai Crannell, 83rd; Matt Deluca, 94th; Lawrence Vedilago, 96th; Brian Busby, 100th; Caleb Rudge, 103rd; Matt Serrao, 106th; Lucas Rogers, 120th; Matt Glaub, 121st; Jacob Shave, 145th; and AJ Hewitt, 146th.
The women's race followed, with the Mighty Oaks finishing seventh of 12 teams. Kristin Campbell finished first for ESF, followed by Emily Martin, Jenny Frank, Allison Cronk, and Radka Yang as the five scorers. Close behind them were Danielle Zgardzinski, Emma Putman, Cara Keogh, Elle Leach, Nicole Madden, Lauren Alteio, Nicole Mason, Kelly McKenna, Amber Antonison, Aileen Gray and Kaitlin Breda.
View said both teams ran strong against some of the best teams in the Northeast. The Mighty Oaks enjoy a break next weekend then resume competition Sept. 21 at the Hobart William Smith Invitational. That race will be held in Geneva, N.Y., at the Seneca Lake State Park course. Races begin at 11 a.m.
By Audrey Hart, SU '15
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210