ESF Honors Departing President
End of year brings transition to new leadership
The tenure of SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., is winding to a close at the end of December after nearly 14 years. On Thursday, Dec. 5, more than 400 people, including ESF faculty and staff, alumni, government officials and community leaders, will gather at the Gateway Center to honor Murphy. The event will officially mark the naming of the center's main gathering space as "Neil's Place" in honor of the outgoing president.
A temporary plaque will be displayed listing the names of those who have already made a gift in honor of Murphy; donations for "Neil's Place" are still being accepted by the ESF College Foundation Inc.
The event begins at 5:30 p.m. Remarks begin at 7 p.m. Speakers will include Lt. Governor Bob Duffy, Vita DeMarchi, chair of the ESF Board of Trustees and N.Y. State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joe Martens, who earned his master's degree from ESF in 1981.
Earlier this week nearly 150 college employees attended a holiday reception in Murphy's honor and presented him and his wife, Joanne, with engraved Adirondack chairs.
Friday, Dec. 6, will mark Murphy's last official address to students at the December Convocation at 1 p.m. in Hendricks Chapel on the Syracuse University campus.
Murphy plans to take the next year off and return to the ESF campus in 2015 to teach. Dr. Quentin Wheeler takes over as president of ESF in 2014.
More ESF News
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210