ESF Honors Departing President
End of year brings transition to new leadership
The tenure of SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., is winding to a close at the end of December after nearly 14 years. On Thursday, Dec. 5, more than 400 people, including ESF faculty and staff, alumni, government officials and community leaders, will gather at the Gateway Center to honor Murphy. The event will officially mark the naming of the center's main gathering space as "Neil's Place" in honor of the outgoing president.
A temporary plaque will be displayed listing the names of those who have already made a gift in honor of Murphy; donations for "Neil's Place" are still being accepted by the ESF College Foundation Inc.
The event begins at 5:30 p.m. Remarks begin at 7 p.m. Speakers will include Lt. Governor Bob Duffy, Vita DeMarchi, chair of the ESF Board of Trustees and N.Y. State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joe Martens, who earned his master's degree from ESF in 1981.
Earlier this week nearly 150 college employees attended a holiday reception in Murphy's honor and presented him and his wife, Joanne, with engraved Adirondack chairs.
Friday, Dec. 6, will mark Murphy's last official address to students at the December Convocation at 1 p.m. in Hendricks Chapel on the Syracuse University campus.
Murphy plans to take the next year off and return to the ESF campus in 2015 to teach. Dr. Quentin Wheeler takes over as president of ESF in 2014.
- Restoration of Piping Plovers Happening on Multiple Fronts
- ESF President Joins U.S. Leaders : 'We Are Still In’ on Paris Agreement
- Mighty Oaks Welcome a New Coach
- SUNY Ranks among Top 100 Worldwide for Patents Granted in 2016
- Philosopher’s Camp Returns to Newcomb Campus
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210