ESF Honors Departing President
End of year brings transition to new leadership
The tenure of SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., is winding to a close at the end of December after nearly 14 years. On Thursday, Dec. 5, more than 400 people, including ESF faculty and staff, alumni, government officials and community leaders, will gather at the Gateway Center to honor Murphy. The event will officially mark the naming of the center's main gathering space as "Neil's Place" in honor of the outgoing president.
A temporary plaque will be displayed listing the names of those who have already made a gift in honor of Murphy; donations for "Neil's Place" are still being accepted by the ESF College Foundation Inc.
The event begins at 5:30 p.m. Remarks begin at 7 p.m. Speakers will include Lt. Governor Bob Duffy, Vita DeMarchi, chair of the ESF Board of Trustees and N.Y. State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joe Martens, who earned his master's degree from ESF in 1981.
Earlier this week nearly 150 college employees attended a holiday reception in Murphy's honor and presented him and his wife, Joanne, with engraved Adirondack chairs.
Friday, Dec. 6, will mark Murphy's last official address to students at the December Convocation at 1 p.m. in Hendricks Chapel on the Syracuse University campus.
Murphy plans to take the next year off and return to the ESF campus in 2015 to teach. Dr. Quentin Wheeler takes over as president of ESF in 2014.
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than Cities
- ESF Professor Awarded Research Grant
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210