ESF Celebrates December Convocation
President tells graduates, “Embrace opportunity”
Dr. Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., presided over his 27th and final Convocation as president of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) Friday, Dec. 6.
Murphy shared with the graduates life lessons he had learned that were not taught in the lecture hall.
He urged the graduates to embrace opportunity. "The passive approach to life's opportunities simply doesn't work. Embrace opportunities and act upon them." He encouraged them to seek out mentors. His first mentor, he said, was his father who fostered Murphy's love of science while sitting at the kitchen table. It was from his father that he learned the third lesson, "respect people."
"It doesn't matter if it's a CEO, a custodian or a parking attendant, they all contribute … they deserve your respect. Without shared respect you won't have an honest dialogue."
He then encouraged them to find someone to love and who will love them in return. He took the opportunity to tell his wife, Joanne, he loved her. "It's a unique opportunity that I can say that from a podium, because today is our anniversary."
Murphy concluded his remarks with a traditional Irish blessing: "May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, the rain fall soft upon your fields and, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."
Then, with a hitch in his voice, he urged the graduates to "Go forth and make us proud."
ESF awarded 170 degrees, including 63 master's degrees and 11 Doctors of Philosophy, during the ceremony held in Hendricks Chapel.
Preston S. Gilbert '73 and president of the ESF Alumni Association granted Murphy "Official Status as a Lifetime ESF Alum," joking that it only took the president 13 years to graduate.
Two alumni were honored during convocation.
Robert Kinstrey '67 and Dr. Chin Yang '84 received Lifetime Achievement awards bestowed by the ESF Alumni Association.
More ESF News
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210