Mighty Oaks Finish Tournament with Win
Team sets free-throw record with 72 in 2OT victory
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Mighty Oaks men's basketball team finished a weekend tournament Saturday with a 96-95 double overtime victory over Alfred State.
The game was marked by the Mighty Oaks setting a program record for free-throw attempts, with 72, and achieving the second-highest team-scoring total in program history.
Playing in the consolation game of the Sarah Lawrence Tournament, the Mighty Oaks and Alfred State saw eight ties and nine lead changes. ESF started strong, leading by 13 in the first half but the Alfred State Pioneers battled back to end the half only down by four. The Mighty Oaks created another double-digit lead in the second half but the Pioneers were tenacious with their final push and regulation time ended in a 75-75 tie.
Overtime didn't disappoint as Alfred State started with the momentum, building a quick five-point lead. Suthod Young and Sage Beemer brought the Mighty Oaks back into the game and the first overtime ended with a score of 85-85. In the second overtime, the Mighty Oaks took control from the start and sealed the win.
Standout players included Young, with a career-high 28 points and 14 rebounds; Beemer, 16 points and 12 rebounds; Kyle Peck, 18 points and three steals; and Danny MacElrath, 10 points. Young was named to the All-Tournament Team for his performance.
The Mighty Oaks look to build on this success with their first home game of the year 1 p.m. Jan. 18 when they meet the Steels of the Culinary Institute of America. Fan shuttles will be available for students wishing to attend the game at the Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central. Transportation details will be available later this week.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210