Mighty Oaks Finish Tournament with Win
Team sets free-throw record with 72 in 2OT victory
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Mighty Oaks men's basketball team finished a weekend tournament Saturday with a 96-95 double overtime victory over Alfred State.
The game was marked by the Mighty Oaks setting a program record for free-throw attempts, with 72, and achieving the second-highest team-scoring total in program history.
Playing in the consolation game of the Sarah Lawrence Tournament, the Mighty Oaks and Alfred State saw eight ties and nine lead changes. ESF started strong, leading by 13 in the first half but the Alfred State Pioneers battled back to end the half only down by four. The Mighty Oaks created another double-digit lead in the second half but the Pioneers were tenacious with their final push and regulation time ended in a 75-75 tie.
Overtime didn't disappoint as Alfred State started with the momentum, building a quick five-point lead. Suthod Young and Sage Beemer brought the Mighty Oaks back into the game and the first overtime ended with a score of 85-85. In the second overtime, the Mighty Oaks took control from the start and sealed the win.
Standout players included Young, with a career-high 28 points and 14 rebounds; Beemer, 16 points and 12 rebounds; Kyle Peck, 18 points and three steals; and Danny MacElrath, 10 points. Young was named to the All-Tournament Team for his performance.
The Mighty Oaks look to build on this success with their first home game of the year 1 p.m. Jan. 18 when they meet the Steels of the Culinary Institute of America. Fan shuttles will be available for students wishing to attend the game at the Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central. Transportation details will be available later this week.
- ESF Education a Family Affair for Schiavone Brothers
- Oakie Flies into Final Four
- Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-Le Moyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210