ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
Online competition includes 43 SUNY schools
SYRACUSE - Oakie the Acorn, the mascot of ESF's Mighty Oaks athletic teams, is one of 43 SUNY mascots competing in SUNY's Second Annual Mascot Madness beginning March 11.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions with five rounds. Round I and Round II, as they appear on the bracket, will be held simultaneously. This enables participating campuses to receive a full week of open voting before potentially moving on to the second round. The bracket can be viewed at http://blog.suny.edu/?s=Mascot+madness
Forty-three SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
ESF's Oakie, who is seeded 39th, is going up against the 26th-seeded SUNY Erie Community College when voting begins at noon March 11. To vote, visit http://blog.suny.edu/mascot-madness-2014/.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 3. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Last year, Oakie upset fifth-seed SUNY Delhi's Lucky the Bronco to advance to Round 2. However, Oakie fell to Farmingdale's Rambo the Ram in the second round of competition.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament including mascots' origin stories; thoughts on representing their teams; favorite events, New York travel destination and Broadway show; and what they like to do for fun.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents eight men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF can trace its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on several ESF intercollegiate athletic teams, including soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, and track. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie and on Facebook at Oakie Acorn.
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
- Forbes Ranks ESF Among Nation’s Top Colleges
- Annual Value of Trees? $500 Million Per Megacity, Study Says
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- Sierra Club Puts ESF among Nation’s Top ‘Cool Schools’
- NSF Grant Funds ESF Ecologist’s Gypsy Moth Research
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210