ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
Online competition includes 43 SUNY schools
SYRACUSE - Oakie the Acorn, the mascot of ESF's Mighty Oaks athletic teams, is one of 43 SUNY mascots competing in SUNY's Second Annual Mascot Madness beginning March 11.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions with five rounds. Round I and Round II, as they appear on the bracket, will be held simultaneously. This enables participating campuses to receive a full week of open voting before potentially moving on to the second round. The bracket can be viewed at http://blog.suny.edu/?s=Mascot+madness
Forty-three SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
ESF's Oakie, who is seeded 39th, is going up against the 26th-seeded SUNY Erie Community College when voting begins at noon March 11. To vote, visit http://blog.suny.edu/mascot-madness-2014/.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 3. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Last year, Oakie upset fifth-seed SUNY Delhi's Lucky the Bronco to advance to Round 2. However, Oakie fell to Farmingdale's Rambo the Ram in the second round of competition.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament including mascots' origin stories; thoughts on representing their teams; favorite events, New York travel destination and Broadway show; and what they like to do for fun.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents eight men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF can trace its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on several ESF intercollegiate athletic teams, including soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, and track. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA).
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie and on Facebook at Oakie Acorn.
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-LeMoyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
- Walk on the Wild Side
- USA President Focuses on Building Relationships
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210