Mighty Oaks Update - 9/16/09
News on ESF sports
The SUNY-ESF men's and women's cross country teams competed in the Oswego State Invitational last Saturday.Their efforts marked the first competition ever for the Mighty Oaks in an official intercollegiate running competition.
The women, led by freshman Kristin Pasquino, placed a respectable sixth against many larger and more advanced programs.Kristin, who finished 36th in 20:10, was supported by the strong efforts of Alice Gallagher (43rd), Bridget Bromm (55th), Charlottte Evanofski (56th), Kathleen Gray (60th) and Paulette Lloyd (62nd).
The men, led by Luke Grasmeyer, placed fifth in the competition.Luke finished a solid 16th overall.Next for the Oaks was freshman Collin Bartholomew (32nd).Collin was followed by Andrew Tufts (47th), Nate Hess (56th), Andy Koester (62nd), Dan Moran (65th), Joe Gerchman (67th), Matt Allen (69th) and Carlos Rosales-Zalaya (73rd).
The Mighty Oaks will compete next in this coming Saturday's Hobart Invitational.
The ESF golf team began its 2009-2010 season on Sept. 6 at the Utica Invitational at Valley View Country Club. The team had a strong showing, placing fifth out of nine teams with a 328 four-man team total. Only seven strokes separated fifth from second place in the team's first tournament of the year. ESF medalist honors went to sophomore Brendan Beeke with a fine 79. Other team members included Jim Burt (80), Bob Mastro (81), Matt Dennis (88) and Zach Halstrom (91). The ESF Golf team has three tournaments in the next 10 days, including a match with the CNY CGA, which includes Syracuse University, Sept. 19 at Drumlins; the Oswego Invitational Sept. 21; and the Keuka Invitational Sept. 24.
The men's and women's soccer teams had an excellent week, adding to a great preseason start. The women had two wins against NJCAA Division 1 Bryant and Stratton and SUNY Oswego's club team. Very solid midfield play by Nicole Kenney and Kaley Donovan with goals by Robin Cox , Natasha Karniski, Jessica Haeter, Nicole Bader and Wendy Getman led The Mighty Oaks to some exciting soccer.
The men's team remains unbeaten with a recent league win and tie. The Oaks shut out the Oswego Lakers 2 nil, and had a physical contest against Cortland that closed 1-1. Great play by Kevin Busa, Kevin Dooley, Galen Walsh and Sean St. Denis with goals by Steven Tyrell and Nick Herra-Cave ended a good week for ESF soccer.
The women's next opponent will be SUNY IT's varsity squad at 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27 in Utica. The men face 2008 CCSL League champ Cornell at noon Saturday, Sept. 26 at ESF.
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210