ESF American Chestnut Project Supports Relay for Life
Seedlings to be given to cancer survivors
The American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry is participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Madison County May 31.
During the annual awareness/fundraising event, ESF will give out American chestnut seedlings to the cancer survivors in attendance.
"The American chestnut trees in our forests are survivors, too," said Dr. William Powell, a professor and director of the Council on Biotechnology in Forestry at ESF. The chestnut project is donating 125 chestnut seedlings. The group will also have information about The American Chestnut Foundation available, along with an educational display.
Cancer survivors, caregivers, sponsors, teams and community members will come together for the American Cancer Society's 11th annual Relay For Life of Madison County May 31 through June 1.
"Relay For Life is a fun, family-focused event where the community comes together in the fight against cancer," said Jennifer Armlin, Relay For Life chairman. "So many lives are touched by cancer. We Relay so that someday we will be able to eliminate this disease forever."
This year's American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Madison County hopes to raise over $100,000 for cancer research and programs that help cancer patients. Last year 122 survivors walked the track celebrating their courageous battle against cancer.
More ESF News
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210