ESF American Chestnut Project Supports Relay for Life
Seedlings to be given to cancer survivors
The American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry is participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Madison County May 31.
During the annual awareness/fundraising event, ESF will give out American chestnut seedlings to the cancer survivors in attendance.
"The American chestnut trees in our forests are survivors, too," said Dr. William Powell, a professor and director of the Council on Biotechnology in Forestry at ESF. The chestnut project is donating 125 chestnut seedlings. The group will also have information about The American Chestnut Foundation available, along with an educational display.
Cancer survivors, caregivers, sponsors, teams and community members will come together for the American Cancer Society's 11th annual Relay For Life of Madison County May 31 through June 1.
"Relay For Life is a fun, family-focused event where the community comes together in the fight against cancer," said Jennifer Armlin, Relay For Life chairman. "So many lives are touched by cancer. We Relay so that someday we will be able to eliminate this disease forever."
This year's American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Madison County hopes to raise over $100,000 for cancer research and programs that help cancer patients. Last year 122 survivors walked the track celebrating their courageous battle against cancer.
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Teamwork Gets Soccer Players Volunteering for Food Recovery
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210