Mighty Oaks Update - 10/1/09
News on ESF sports
Cross-Country Teams Compete at Roberts Wesleyan Invitational
The SUNY-ESF men's and women's cross-country teams competed in the Roberts Wesleyan Cross Country Invitational Sept. 26. SUNY Geneseo and The University of Rochester were front runners at the meet, but ESF still displayed a strong performance.
The ESF men were led by Luke Grasmeyer placing 17th out of 93 runners. Colin Bartholomew came in second for the Mighty Oaks, in 48th place, followed by Carlos Rosales-Zelaya (72nd), Andy Koester (73rd), Matt Allen (77th) and Joe Gerchman (80th). Overall, the ESF team placed seventh. The Mighty Oaks were just one point behind Wells College and ahead of Hilbert College and D'Youville College.
The ESF women's team was led by Alice Gallagher who placed 43rd out of 92 competitors. Lorraine Tucker came in second for the team, finishing 44th, and was followed by Kristin Pasquino who came in 71st. This was disappointing for Pasquino, who had placed first for the women's team the past two weeks. She was suffering from lower leg injuries but finished the race so ESF could get a complete score. Pasquino was followed by Kathleen Grey (73rd) and Bridget Bromm (79th). The ESF women placed eighth out of 10 competitors.
The Mighty Oaks will next compete Saturday, Oct. 3, at SUNY Geneseo.
Golf Team Claims Second at Keuka Invitational
The ESF golf team played its final tournament of the season at the Keuka Invitational at Lakeside Country Club Sept. 24. The team placed second, finishing four strokes short of winning.
Matt Dennis led the team with a score of 79. Dennis was accompanied by teammates Brendan Beeke (82), Jim Burt (84), Nick Onesto (94) and Nick D'Alessandro (113).
The Mighty Oaks also competed in the annual fall invitation at Oswego State Sept. 21. Disappointingly, the team did not play as well as it could have because of bad weather and an extra-fast green. Brendan Beeke led the team with an 81.
In its second tournament of the season, the golf team competed in the Syracuse Invitational Sept. 19 at Drumlins Country Club. The Mighty Oaks placed first out of five teams. The wining team was led by Brendan Beeke and Mike Belveg, both with scores of 74.
Soccer: Women Top SUNY-IT; Men Tie Cornell Club
The ESF women's soccer team put an end to SUNY-IT's three-game winning streak Sept 27 at the Wildcat Soccer Field in Utica. The Mighty Oaks won 3-2, improving ESF's record to 4-1.
Amy Chianucci scored the first goal on an assist from Kaley Donovan right before the end of the first half. After IT scored twice, Nicole Baber netted one for ESF. The winning goal was scored by Wendy Getman. Goalkeeper Mettaya Potter was credited with eight saves.
The team will compete at Onondaga Community College Sept 30.
The men's soccer team competed at home against Cornell Sept. 26 in a game that ended in a 3-3 draw.
The Mighty Oaks displayed a strong showing in the first half, with 18 of the 26 shots being made in the first 45 minutes. Goalkeeper Mike Shriver was given a yellow card after an aggressive tackle. Cosimo Pagano, Wyatt Jacobi and Nick Herrera-Cave received yellows as well. Shriver made three saves.
The men will play their next game Sept. 30 at Onondaga Community College.
By Jessica Lynn Siart
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210