2nd International Biorefinery Conference
Scientists from around the world gather in Syracuse
The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), the International Union of Biorefineries, and the Biorefinery Institute organized the 2nd International Biorefinery Conference under way today and continuing tomorrow at the Doubletree Hotel in East Syracuse, N.Y.
Scientists from around the world, faculty, graduate students in biofuels, stakeholders in sustainable chemical industries, biomass production systems, and others involved in the next generation of biofuel investments are attending. The previous conference, two years ago, was held in Beijing, China.
Today's highlights include luncheon speaker Suzanne Hunt of the World Watch Institute discussing biorefineries and the development of emerging economies; followed by Jennifer Holmgren of UOP, a subsidiary of Honeywell International, explaining how to unlock the potential of biofuels; and a panel discussion during the evening banquet on bridging from biorefinery technology to commercial business success.
Wednesday includes morning sessions with Dr. G. Ronald Brown of the American Forest and Paper Association, and Professor Esteban Chornet of Universite' de Sherbrooke, on biorefinery technology development in the forest products industry and developing biomass feedstock.
ESF Professor Thomas Amidon, chair of the 2009 International Biorefinery Conference, delivers closing remarks at 1:30PM and attendees will be invited to visit the ESF biorefinery pilot project.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210