Mighty Oaks Update - 10/21/09
News about ESF sports
Men's and Women's Soccer Teams Victorious Against Paul Smith's
The Mighty Oaks men's and women's soccer teams both finished the regular season with strong wins, defeating the Bobcats of Paul Smith's College.
The women played an intense game filled with many opportunities against the energetic Paul Smith's women. Wendy Getman and Sue Fassler gave the Bobcats a scare with two great shots while the rest of the Mighty Oaks team kept their opponents on guard with a strong effort. Nicole Bader and Kaylee Donovan each scored goals to lead the Mighty Oaks to victory.
The win closed out the women's impressive season, with only two losses.
The Mighty Oaks men were also victorious against Paul Smith's, starting off with Sean St. Denis scoring in the first 10 minutes. The men showed great effort and stifled any attempts from the Paul Smith's players. Nick Herrera-Cave and Adrian Wiegmen also scored, securing the Mighty Oaks an undefeated regular season.
The Mighty Oaks men will compete in the Collegiate Club Soccer Playoffs against Cornell at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at SUNY Cortland Stadium.
Mighty Oaks Cross Country Teams Have Strong Showing in Geneva
The men's and women's cross-country teams competed in the William Smith Cross Country Only Conference meet Oct. 17 in Geneva.
The women placed fourth out of 11 teams. They were beat by Daemen College, Clarkson College and Hobart William Smith College.
Kristin Pasquino led the Mighty Oaks, finishing in eighth place overall with a time of 20:34 on the 5K course. Alice Gallagher followed in 12th in 20:44 and Charlotte Evanofski in 28th in 21:58. All three women were awarded T-shirts for their impressive performances. Kathleen Gray was fourth for the Mighty Oaks finishing 36th overall, followed by Bridget Bomm in 49th.
The men also showed a strong performance, placing sixth out of 14 teams. Luke Grasmeyer led the team on the 8K course with a personal best, finishing third out of 114 runners with a time of 26:43. Colin Bartholomew was second for the Mighty Oaks in 15th with a time of 27:37. He was followed by Mike Miles (53rd), Joe Gerchman (74th), Matt Allen (75th), Andy Koester (77th), Dan Moran (79th), Carlos Rosales-Zelava (83rd) and Owen Hunter (97th).
The Mighty Oaks men and women will compete in their last meet of the season Oct. 31 at Hobart William Smith College.
By Jessica Lynn Siart
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210