Men's Soccer Team Wins NHTI Invitational
Mighty Oaks outscore opponents 11-0
The Mighty Oaks men's soccer team continued its strong play by sweeping both games in the NHTI Invitational Soccer Tournament in Concord, New Hampshire, over Labor Day weekend.
The Mighty Oaks opened tournament play Aug. 30 with a convincing 6-0 win over Fisher College of Boston. Dillon Buchberg and Joe Marino notched two goals each. Kyle Bardwell and Robert Hamm also got in on the goal scoring. Mike Walczyk and Adam Belkadi shared time as keeper, neither allowing a goal while making three saves and two saves, respectively.
The following day the Mighty Oaks easily defeated the host team, NHTI, 5-0 in the championship game. A well-balanced scoring attack was provided by Buchberg (two goals), Zach Reda, Chris Schiavone and Joe Marino. Keepers Walczyk and Adam Belkadi again provided phenomenal goal keeping, recording another shutout while making three and four saves, respectively.
"We really worked very hard these past few weeks of training on controlling the game with possession and high-pressure defense and it really paid off this weekend. We were a pack of dogs out there!" said junior defender Dan McGraw.
Bardwell was named MVP of the tournament while McGraw was named most outstanding defensive player. Hamm was named to the all-tournament team. The team next moves on to the Big Apple Sept. 6 to face Berkeley College.
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
- Army Touches Down at Ranger School for Training Mission
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'
- Ducks Unlimited Lists ESF among 'Sweet 16' Collegiate Chapters
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210