Men's Soccer Team Wins NHTI Invitational
Mighty Oaks outscore opponents 11-0
The Mighty Oaks men's soccer team continued its strong play by sweeping both games in the NHTI Invitational Soccer Tournament in Concord, New Hampshire, over Labor Day weekend.
The Mighty Oaks opened tournament play Aug. 30 with a convincing 6-0 win over Fisher College of Boston. Dillon Buchberg and Joe Marino notched two goals each. Kyle Bardwell and Robert Hamm also got in on the goal scoring. Mike Walczyk and Adam Belkadi shared time as keeper, neither allowing a goal while making three saves and two saves, respectively.
The following day the Mighty Oaks easily defeated the host team, NHTI, 5-0 in the championship game. A well-balanced scoring attack was provided by Buchberg (two goals), Zach Reda, Chris Schiavone and Joe Marino. Keepers Walczyk and Adam Belkadi again provided phenomenal goal keeping, recording another shutout while making three and four saves, respectively.
"We really worked very hard these past few weeks of training on controlling the game with possession and high-pressure defense and it really paid off this weekend. We were a pack of dogs out there!" said junior defender Dan McGraw.
Bardwell was named MVP of the tournament while McGraw was named most outstanding defensive player. Hamm was named to the all-tournament team. The team next moves on to the Big Apple Sept. 6 to face Berkeley College.
More ESF News
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210