Women's Soccer Team Comes from Behind to Defeat Alfred
Cuddihy, Carl lead Mighty Oaks with two goals each
Still recalling its bitter 4-1 defeat at the hands of Alfred State in the USCAA Nationals in 2013, the women's soccer team came out on the field with a chip on its shoulder in its rematch vs the Lady Pioneers Oct. 5.
Looking to making a strong first impression and wipe out any memory of last year's defeat, the Mighty Oaks jumped to a quick 2-0 lead with goals by freshman Rachel Truska (her first collegiate goal) and sophomore Heather Carl. The Lady Pioneers would not go down quietly, however, adding two goals of their own and tying the game 2-2 at half time.
At the beginning of the second half, the Lady Pioneers added another goal making the score 3-2. At this point, the Mighty Oaks went into domination mode, knocking in three goals and shutting down the Lady Pioneers. Two goals were scored by senior Captain Bridget Cuddihy and Carl netted another goal at the 85th minute, adding insurance for the Mighty Oaks with a great comeback 5-3 win.
Cuddihy said, "We came out in the second half composed and ready to pick up the pace of the game. Our speed gave us intense offensive pressure, and our defense shut their forwards down. We proved that we were the better team on the field today."
The women's soccer team looks to defend its reign at the Barkeater Cup at Paul Smith's College Oct. 10.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210