ESF Celebrates December Convocation
College to honor outstanding alumni during ceremony
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will award 115 degrees, including 10 Doctors of Philosophy, during the 2009 December Convocation, 3 to 5 p.m. Dec. 11 at Hendricks Chapel.
Two alumni will be honored during convocation.
Dr. Robert Lenz '56 and Joe Martens '81 will receive Graduate of Distinction awards.
Lenz (Ph.D., '56 chemistry) is a pioneer in the field of polymer chemistry. He received his Ph.D. from ESF in 1956, working with the late professors Conrad Schuerch and Michael Szwarc. He went on to become one of the founding members of the polymer science and engineering program at the University of Massachusetts. Lenz was a leader in the synthesis of polyesters, a class of biodegradable polymers. He authored a widely used text- and reference book, "The Organic Chemistry of Synthetic High Polymers."
Martens (MS, '81, resources management) is president of the Open Space Institute (OSI), which is dedicated to protecting scenic, natural, and historic landscapes to ensure public enjoyment, conserve habitats, and sustain community character. To date, more than 100,000 acres in New York are protected through OSI's direct acquisition and conservation easements.
Before joining OSI, Martens was a senior legislative analyst for the N.Y. State Assembly Ways and Means Committee. He also worked at the Adirondack Park Agency as an administrative officer, project review officer, and special assistant to the executive director. He left the APA to become secretary for the environment during Governor Mario Cuomo's administration.
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than Cities
- ESF Professor Awarded Research Grant
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210