ESF Tops U.S. News List of Colleges Offering Small Classes on a Budget
College's small classes have big payoff for students
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - U.S. News and World Report placed the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) at the top of its list of colleges that offer small classes and charge less than $10,000 per year for in-state tuition and fees.
"Attending a big, affordable public university doesn't doom a student to huge lecture halls," the report stated.
That is evident at ESF, where seventy-seven percent of the undergraduate classes have 19 students or less. Combined with the College's high percentage of full-time faculty and "more selective" admissions standards, the College topped the list of 29 affordable public institutions. Other schools listed included three SUNY campuses (Potsdam, Fredonia and Alfred Tech), the University of California-Berkley, UCLA, and the University of Tennessee.
Earlier this year, U.S. News and World Report included ESF in several other national rankings. In the magazine's list of best national universities, which included both public and private institutions, ESF was ranked 80th overall, and only Yale University was ranked higher for small class size. The College was also ranked 17th in the "Great Schools, Great Prices" category.
More ESF News
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210