ESF Tops U.S. News List of Colleges Offering Small Classes on a Budget
College's small classes have big payoff for students
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - U.S. News and World Report placed the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) at the top of its list of colleges that offer small classes and charge less than $10,000 per year for in-state tuition and fees.
"Attending a big, affordable public university doesn't doom a student to huge lecture halls," the report stated.
That is evident at ESF, where seventy-seven percent of the undergraduate classes have 19 students or less. Combined with the College's high percentage of full-time faculty and "more selective" admissions standards, the College topped the list of 29 affordable public institutions. Other schools listed included three SUNY campuses (Potsdam, Fredonia and Alfred Tech), the University of California-Berkley, UCLA, and the University of Tennessee.
Earlier this year, U.S. News and World Report included ESF in several other national rankings. In the magazine's list of best national universities, which included both public and private institutions, ESF was ranked 80th overall, and only Yale University was ranked higher for small class size. The College was also ranked 17th in the "Great Schools, Great Prices" category.
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
- Army Touches Down at Ranger School for Training Mission
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'
- Ducks Unlimited Lists ESF among 'Sweet 16' Collegiate Chapters
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210