ESF Team Takes Third at Annual Wildlife Society Quiz Bowl
Team fares well against 21 other colleges
Did you ever wonder how many needles a red pine has? Or where a field mouse fits in a food web? If you did, you could ask someone in ESF's chapter of The Wilderness Society because they know their wildlife facts. In fact, they're third in the nation.
Every year the Wildlife Society holds a national quiz bowl at their annual conference held in Pittsburgh Pa. Akin to wildlife Jeopardy!, teams answer facts ranging from plant taxonomy to wildlife management. This year 21 universities participated in the event including teams from the University of Michigan, Purdue University and Texas A & M.
The University of Maine knocked ESF out in the third round after some intense gameplay. ESF beat the University of Maine the last two years, and according to team captain Peter Iacono, have become our unofficial rivals.
"While there is competition between us, it's all in good fun and it allows us to focus and have a friendly rivalry" Iacono said.
Competing in the quiz bowl, is a team effort.
"It is very much a group effort," said Iacono. A senior in wildlife science, Iacono has been an active member of the team for a few years. The team is rounded out by Thea Cooper from conservation biology, Russel Winter from wildlife science, and Kim Savides also from wildlife science.
The annual Wildlife Society conference brings together a lot of professionals from different fields including researchers, ecologists and foresters. The event gives students the opportunity to network and exchange ideas.
"A lot of professionals came up to ESF and congratulated us on a good job" Iacono said. Although ESF didn't place first, it gave much needed exposure to both our school and our students, according to Iacono.
Due to increased interest in the team, prospective members will need to tryout. Students who would like to join the team are encouraged to contact Lacono at firstname.lastname@example.org or club advisor Dr. Jonathan Cohen, Department of Environmental and Forest Biology, at email@example.com.
Tom Howson '15
Recent ESF News
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Studentís ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210