ESF Student Lauded as 'Hero of Conservation'
Senior Matthew Rothrock volunteers with state parks
ESF student Matthew (Matt) Rothrock was named one of the year's six "Heroes of Conservation" in Central New York by Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard.
Rothrock's story was featured in the newspaper and affiliated website Dec. 17.
Rothrock, an environmental biology major from Boyertown, Pa., is an "unsung hero," according to Thomas Hughes, an ESF alumnus who nominated him. Hughes, who earned his master's degree from ESF in 2006, is a natural resource biologist for N.Y. state parks.
Rothrock, a senior, is secretary of the ESF FORCES (Friends of Recreation, Conservation and Environmental Stewardship) club, which works to engage park patrons and partners in volunteer service projects. He has helped out at the Montezuma Audubon Center Festival by providing environmental outreach and education to youth, volunteers at the state fair building bluebird boxes and has participated in several invasive species management projects in local state parks. He also helps organize the annual ESF Beast Feast, a potluck meal that shares the bounty of wild harvested game and sustainably raised meat and produce from the state. The meal is put on by the ESF student chapter of The Wildlife Society.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210