ESF's New Mascot, Oakie, Meets the Public
First official mascot was chosen by students
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., introduced the College's new mascot, Oakie the acorn, Friday to 250 members of the College community who gathered in Bray Hall for the debut.
Oakie, who was chosen as the mascot by the ESF student body, will represent ESF's growing athletic program. The College's soccer, golf, cross-country and timber sports teams are known as the Mighty Oaks, a name linked to both ESF's deep roots in the field of forestry and one of the most identifiable landmarks on the ESF campus: the Robin Hood Oak. The stately oak was the first tree to be listed on the National Register of Historic Trees in the United States. The tree grew from an acorn obtained by an ESF professor who brought it back from England's Sherwood Forest around 1926. According to legend, the Major Oak sheltered Robin Hood and his men from their enemies.
ESF's athletic teams have, to this point, competed as club teams. But the College joined the National Intercollegiate Athletic Association this past fall and the soccer, golf and cross-country teams will begin an intercollegiate competition schedule in the fall.
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
- Blackstone LaunchPad Hosts Syracuse Qualifier for Hult Prize
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210